PDA

View Full Version : Changing tubes.

ibanezjunkie
June 4th, 2009, 01:43 PM
i dont need to yet, but when the time comes, i want to be able to do it.

all id want to do i swap out the stock 12AX7 and the stock EL84 for an EHX or JJ tube of the same type.

can someone give me like, a method of how to do this? like..walk me through it?:)

thanks people

markb
June 4th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Er, switch the amp off, wait for the valves to cool down, pull the old ones and push in the new ones? I can't think of any more that's involved apart from how you access them. When valves were the norm everybody could do this.

Gutmann
June 4th, 2009, 03:27 PM
If you need to set the bias and match the powertubes, you need some more know how or a good tech.
The preamp tubes are easy, just pull them out and put a new one in - I only set the amp to standby. What's the amp?
THIS (http://www.tube-town.net/info/doc/tt-tubemap.pdf) might help you as well.

ibanezjunkie
June 4th, 2009, 03:34 PM
well if i replace the EL84 in the power section with an EHX or JJ EL84 (the amp is cathode biased i believe) i wouldnt need to rebias would i?

and its the blackheart BH5H

oldguy
June 4th, 2009, 05:11 PM
well if i replace the EL84 in the power section with an EHX or JJ EL84 (the amp is cathode biased i believe) i wouldnt need to rebias would i?

and its the blackheart BH5H

No, you don't.
Just do as MarkB said and you should be fine. Pay attention to how the pins line up as you remove the tubes, you want to line the pins on the new ones up the same, and don't force them or bend the pins.

rev156
June 5th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I've swapped mine several times and have done some A/Bing between NOS tubes as well. The most time consuming part is taking off the BH's back panel. I also left off the tube covers with no ill effects.
Cheers