PDA

View Full Version : Video Lesson 8-25-09 Melodic Rhythm Guitar ala Jimi Hendrix!

mark wein
August 25th, 2009, 06:57 PM
This is the first in a multi-part lesson on playing along the lines of such Hendrix classics as "Little Wing" and "Bold as Love"

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=129&Itemid=40

You can also get lesson updates and other guitar stuff from me now on Twitter: http://twitter.com/mwgl - we'll be having news about some music theory seminars and the winners of the free online voice lessons with Courtney Taylor are among the notable items this week!

As always you can find me on my forum at www.MWGLforums.com

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

M29
August 25th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks Mark I am going to have some fun with this.:rockon:

mark wein
August 25th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks Mark I am going to have some fun with this.:rockon:

:AOK:

Cool! I have a few more lessons in this series already recorded so there will be more in the pipeline....

sunvalleylaw
August 25th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Sweet! Looks like a great topic!

mark wein
August 26th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Sweet! Looks like a great topic!

Thanks!

So far this has been one of the best received lesson I've done in a while. Apparently everyone loves Jimi! :D

sumitomo
August 26th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Yea I like it too! and Steve Cropper also.Thanks Mark Sumi:D

mark wein
August 26th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Yea I like it too! and Steve Cropper also.Thanks Mark Sumi:D

Actually, Steve Cropper would be another good lesson....

SuperSwede
August 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Great lesson! Apparently everone loves Mark :D

mark wein
August 26th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Great lesson! Apparently everone loves Mark :D

Actually, I think its more "everyone loves Hendrix"....I'm just the vessel :D

sunvalleylaw
August 26th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks!

So far this has been one of the best received lesson I've done in a while. Apparently everyone loves Jimi! :D

One thing that is so great is that learning Hendrix style rhythm chops helps me follow more what Mayer and Vaughn are doing and where it came from in a lot of their stuff too. Getting the concepts down and transposing the ideas to rhythm playing in other keys fluidly at some point will be so nice.

mark wein
August 26th, 2009, 11:09 AM
One thing that is so great is that learning Hendrix style rhythm chops helps me follow more what Mayer and Vaughn are doing and where it came from in a lot of their stuff too. Getting the concepts down and transposing the ideas to rhythm playing in other keys fluidly at some point will be so nice.

So many players have drawn from thag bag of skills that this really can be something of a key to opening up other players styles, too!

I've been posting examples on other forums like this:

7qxYJP_v_gs

John Fruscianti from the Red Hopt Chilli Peppers also uses this stuff in tunes like "Under the Bridge" and "Dani California", too...

sunvalleylaw
August 26th, 2009, 11:12 AM
John Fruscianti, another guitarist I really like. Cool! I had not thought about him. Nor had I thought about Journey. That is Schon on that song?

The way you broke the concepts down and covered what is going on with the theory aspects really helps me to get it better. I love this "applied theory" style of lesson. I am probably just dense, but learning theory, then separately trying to apply it to stuff I am actually trying to learn is hard without the dots connected a bit for me. ;) :D

It is like learning a new program on the computer, it is much easier learning in an applied way on a project than in some class or from a manual for me.

P.S. That vid wants me to take another trip down to the city. My wife and I met some friends there for Halloween weekend in '06 and really enjoyed it.

mark wein
August 26th, 2009, 11:15 AM
John Fruscianti, another guitarist I really like. Cool! I had not thought about him. Nor had I thought about Journey. That is Schon on that song?

The way you broke the concepts down and covered what is going on with the theory aspects really helps me to get it better. I love this "applied theory" style of lesson. I am probably just dense, but learning theory, then separately trying to apply it to stuff I am actually trying to learn is hard without the dots connected a bit for me. ;) :D

It is like learning a new program on the computer, it is much easier learning in an applied way on a project than in some class or from a manual for me.

That is Schon.

Learning theory on the guitar is hard....the best way I know to really get students to internalize in in a usable way is to have them learn the theory on paper (usually the Guitar Fretboard Workbook) and then apply it directly to a piece of music like this...