PDA

View Full Version : 1989 P-100 Les Paul

checkedgoldtop
October 9th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Does anyone else on here have one? I got mine new when I was in junior high and have played it at least a few times a week since. I know Gibson didn't make a bunch of these, any info appreciated.

mrmudcat
October 9th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I think the p-100 pups were stacked humbuckers as opposed to p-90's,they look similiar but have a different sound than traditional single coil p-90's.:poke

How about some pics ????

checkedgoldtop
October 9th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Yeah, they are stacked. Sound close to the p90's but no hum.

mrmudcat
October 9th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Oh nice goldie ya got there............are ya selling it,most likely not????:happy

I think these were made for just one year!!!

Does yours have standard on the trc and speed knobs???:poke

checkedgoldtop
October 9th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Yeah, the 1989 '56 reissue with p90's had a blank trc and top hats. I just saw one of these near mint go on ebay for like $1800, I wouldn't take $10,000 for mine.

mrmudcat
October 9th, 2009, 11:18 AM
That was a good deal I think price guides have them listed around $2500 or so:AOK

I would keep it fo sho brother!!!!

Brian Krashpad
October 9th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Yeah, they are stacked. Sound close to the p90's but no hum.

That looks great. There are quite a few players here with various P-90 guitars, but not many (if any?) with P-100's. I used to have a P-100 LP Special (actual, very silly, model name was the nonsensical "Les Paul Junior Special"), but of course that's the flat-top with the funky-shaped screwed-in pickguard and no maple cap, rather than an arched maple cap like yours.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/Moefest04allSmall.jpg

I never really bonded with the P-100's versus P-90's, and when a great deal on an LP Classic came round locally, I sold my LP Special to an ex-bandmate to raise cash for the Classic.

checkedgoldtop
October 9th, 2009, 12:22 PM
The P100's kind of ended up making me play the way I do now. They are great for Allman Brothers Greatful Dead jam band stuff. I get dead on early rolling stones tone with my super reverb and tubescreamer. I think you just have to play a little more aggressively than with the p90's. There has been a 1989 p90 goldtop on ebay for sale for about a year now that is only 12 digits off of my serial# but the guy wants $5000 buy it now because les paul signed it. Bummer...I would love to have it.