PDA

View Full Version : Suhr on Blues channel - Spider Valve MkII

Robert
March 26th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Going for some SRV type of tones here. Again, I didn't place the mic quite right, and it's a bit more brittle sounding that it should be. Not too bad anyway?

Next clip I'm uploading will the best clean tone yet, I think. Hang on.

qnBVo3XQkjQ

Katastrophe
March 26th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Not bad at all! Diggin' the SRV type tones there. Tasty playing, as always...

Somethings clipping besides the amph, though. I think it's causing the sound to be more distorted than it really is live, causing a "harshness" to the recorded sound.

Microphone too close? Is there a gain level on the mike preamp? If so, is it up too high? Are you going into a mixer? If so, are THOSE levels too high when you're playing?

I'm really not up on the ins and outs of video recording, please forgive any n00bishness.

Jimi75
March 26th, 2010, 08:20 AM
That sounds pretty "dirty" and has a ton of Texas Blues flavour. I like the Amber mode on the Blues channel. From all of your Spider clips these were the best me thinks :applause

You are playing without a pedal in front of the amph, so I would like to know how the amph reacts to guitar volume changes. Does it clean up nicely and keep the dynamics?

Cool licks though Rob, seems you'd been on the Stevie train a lot recently, those licks and song excerpts sounded very close!

Robert
March 26th, 2010, 08:30 AM
There is no clipping, but the mic was a bit too much in the centre of the speaker. No "too high" levels at all, actually.

It cleans up okay, see my Suhr and Crunch Channel video (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=169023#post169023) for examples.

mainestratman
March 26th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Seemed a little over-modulated on the recording? But not too bad at all.. nice and dirty tone... and of course, I tremendously enjoyed the playing. :-)

mainestratman
March 26th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Oops.. I'd read the post, then commented like 5 minutes later.. should have refreshed first. :-)

Katastrophe
March 26th, 2010, 08:58 AM
There is no clipping, but the mic was a bit too much in the centre of the speaker. No "too high" levels at all, actually.

Good deal... I just learned something!:AOK