PDA

View Full Version : Any Django Reinhardt Fans Here?

windycityblues
May 17th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Django Reinhardt is my all-time favorite guitarist, and none of my friends have ever heard of him. I also never see articles on him in guitar magazines. I find his music amazing, and it's unfortunate he's unknown to even many guitar players. Is anybody else here a Django fan?

Radioboy950
May 17th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I dig the music.
One of my favorite local groups, Hot Club of Detroit, is doing a set at the Detroit Jazz Festival this summer marking the 100th birthday of Django.
These young guys are keeping the music alive:applause

3zT_xxvdcQc

Robert
May 17th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I like Django. He has had an enormous influence on many guitar players, over a long time. Gypsy Jazz seems to be a bit "in" in these days, don't you think? Which I think is great!

I am also a big fan of this man - Bireli Lagrene. He is a true master.

-EtG_rcW93Q

sunvalleylaw
May 17th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I like him particularly for reminding me to find notes not in a box, but further on down the string. I think it changes the delivery in really nice ways a lot of times.

red
May 18th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Perhaps "fan" would be stretching it a bit, but I do enjoy Django's music. I also find it interesting and inspiring that he could only use two fingers on his fretboard hand. He could do more with those two fingers than most guitarists can do with four. I think he was also an inspiration for the guitar player in Black Sabbath to carry on playing guitar even after he lost the tip of a couple of fingers in an industrial accident.

Here's a book about the guitars Django played by the international expert and renowned luthier F. Charle:

http://www.rfcharle.com/HTML/LivreSelmerangl.html

Jimi75
May 18th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I really like Django's music. I also find his biography very interesting. Gypsy Jazz is something that I like listening to at some days, sure nothing I can enjoy everyday, but I aknowledge Django as one of the greatest guitarists of all time.

R_of_G
May 18th, 2010, 05:59 AM
I like him particularly for reminding me to find notes not in a box, but further on down the string. I think it changes the delivery in really nice ways a lot of times.

This is something I learned from Django as well. Because of his disfigured hand, it was easier for him to string together runs of notes on one or two strings than jump up and down 5 or 6 strings as a guitarist with four fretting fingers could do more easily. It achieved a more fluid sound which provides for some beautiful phrasing. Nobody phrases melody like Django did.

windycityblues
May 18th, 2010, 06:52 AM
I like Django. He has had an enormous influence on many guitar players, over a long time. Gypsy Jazz seems to be a bit "in" in these days, don't you think? Which I think is great!

I am also a big fan of this man - Bireli Lagrene. He is a true master.

Yes, Bireli Lagrene is one of my favorite guitarists out there today. Another amazing guitarist, and probably my personal favorite, is Stochelo Rosenberg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdL_LHKVIMo

Tone2TheBone
May 18th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Yep Gypsy Jazz is one of my favorites. Love Django. Stephane Grappelli's violin compliments this style of music too. Love to hear both of them go.

tjcurtin1
May 18th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Yeah, wonderful, amazing, full-of-life music. I suppose that he's better known among jazzers.

jpfeifer
May 19th, 2010, 12:07 PM
I am also a fan of Django. It was only the past few years that I started listening to him more and trying to understand what he was doing. It's only now that I understand what an affect he had on so many players that came after him. I have a video clip of George Benson playing some of his favorite stuff and he talks about the influence Django's playing had on him. You can also hear a really strong influence of Django in Les Paul's playing (which didn't make sense to me until I hear so many of the same licks from Django).

I really want to learn some of his stuff. There's a lot of great players out there who can play like him. One of the most incredible ones I've seen besides Berelli LeGrane is this guy from Germany named: Jascho Stephan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koX0ZtUOYNM

--Jim