PDA

View Full Version : Bands you're kinda ashamed of to respect?

deeaa
May 21st, 2010, 11:01 PM
I bet everyone has a band or two they like but for some reason it seems when you talk about that with people, they're sort of surprised that 'really? I wouldn't have thought you'd like THAT'.

For me that's Faster Pussycat...
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dwS9cEvpfjo&hl=fi_FI&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dwS9cEvpfjo&hl=fi_FI&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I dunno, like this song right off the bat is just great for bringing together metal style stops and rhythms and such, and proper groovy sleazerock. I just love it!!!:happy

Spudman
May 22nd, 2010, 09:03 AM
ABBA - I just watched a documentary on youtube and was very surprised how dedicated they were to the quality of their music. Do I like the music? Mostly no but I sure respect what they've done and the legacy they've left.

deeaa
May 22nd, 2010, 10:13 AM
Oh yeah - I feel exactly the same about ABBA.

marnold
May 22nd, 2010, 11:53 AM
Oh yeah - I feel exactly the same about ABBA.
Aren't you required by law to feel that way in Scandinavia?

You actually asked two questions: in the subject you talk about shame but in the post you talk about people being surprised. I've long since given up being "ashamed" about the music I like. My tastes are so broad that I probably like something that will surprise someone. Usually the whole "clergy" and "metal" thing is the big one.

Eric
May 22nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
I like a lot of 90's music that's not exactly thought of as cool, like Stone Temple Pilots, Collective Soul, Ash, Oasis, etc.

For Ash, sometimes their lyrics are just head-slappingly dumb and immature, and the rest of the bands are usually seen as overly-commercial arena rock by music snobs. I personally love the middle, sludgy, universally-panned albums by Oasis like Standing on the Shoulder of Giants and Heathen Chemistry -- they're some of my favorite Oasis records.

deeaa
May 22nd, 2010, 09:37 PM
Huh? Isn't STP considered cool? I suppose in my circles it never dropped from 'cool' status. But then again, pretty much all my friends are die-hard rock fans :-)

Never heard of Ash but now I'm intrigued.

Eric
May 22nd, 2010, 09:49 PM
Huh? Isn't STP considered cool? I suppose in my circles it never dropped from 'cool' status. But then again, pretty much all my friends are die-hard rock fans :-)
Well...I think they were 90s scenesters, riding the wave of huge hooks and the grunge popularity, but since they were kind of glam-y and wildly popular, a lot of people looked down on them as cheapening that 'alternative' scene. That whole idea was kind of stupid, because alternative music really was the mainstream anyway, but whatever...different discussion for a different time.

I personally appreciate good hooks; I think it's what music is all about, and STP is fricking awesome at writing them.

R_of_G
May 23rd, 2010, 04:27 AM
I've long since given up being "ashamed" about the music I like. My tastes are so broad that I probably like something that will surprise someone.

Same here. There really aren't many genres of music where there isn't something I enjoy. There's also a lot to be said for the nostalgia factor. There are things that I grew up with which I may now see in a different musical light, but I also see where it colored what my tastes were. I'm not ashamed to like anything.

Retro Hound
May 25th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Styx.

Jimi75
May 25th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Bee Gees. Once you've understood what great kind of songwriters they are, you'll love 'em. Even the high singing that everyone laughs about is perfectly arranged, in fact they are singing complete chords.

kiteman
May 26th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I like Devo and Kraftwerk so sue me. :french

hubberjub
May 26th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I'm with you on the Devo.

VkOZnsTZYwQ

kiteman
May 26th, 2010, 10:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jadvt7CbH1o

First time I heard them. :)

and of course, Kraftwerk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gChOifUJZMc&feature=related

R_of_G
May 26th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I'm with you both on Devo. :applause

Many just associate them with their final few recordings done in the early 1980s but Devo were a massive force for the evolution (pun intended since their name is short for de-evolution) of the Ohio punk/post-punk music scene. I don't think one can overestimate the influence Mark Mothersbaugh had on musicians to follow.

Tig
May 26th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I saw a Devo concert in '81 or '82 for their New Traditionalists album. It was just before MTV got a grip on music, so the many videos they displayed behind them for each song was really cool to us. These guys had a great sense of humor. They had conveyor belts mounted into the stage, so suddenly they'd be running in place during a song, which got us rolling!
Their simple, yet catchy songs are timeless fun.

I was into Kraftwerk and Gary Newman before Devo. I loved the uber slick synth sounds and fun lyrics of Kraftwerk. I don't know why, but I just do.

Gary Newman was somewhat under the radar other than the few hits, but he made some really great albums, like "I, Assassin".

Commodore 64
May 26th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I like Axel F and the Top Gun Anthem.

Sue me.

deeaa
May 26th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Ah, that must be where ZZ Top had their conveyor idea for the Recycler tour. They also used them, first so little you didn't realize it, they just appeared to move strangely and unnaturally on the stage. Way cool.

ZZ Top was so cool...they certainly know how to make small things big in their act. I remember well that gig - they hardly moved the first 3 or 4 songs, and then when they made one of those gestures with hands or rotated guitars in sync, and then used conveyors to 'moonwalk' and then whatnot around the stage, it got the crowd really screaming too. Less was more.

kiteman
May 26th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Heh, I saw ZZ Top but they didn't have that here. Makes me wonder how they can play their guitars with their beards covering them. :lol:

I like Gary Newman's Cars. It's fun to play the keyboard parts in the upper registries of my guitar. :D

Katastrophe
May 26th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Styx.

I still have the "Mr. Roboto" album on vinyl somewhere around here (not the real album titile, I'm just too lazy to find it and / or Google).

Styx had / has some damn fine tunes!

I'll proudly defend my faves. I like 'em, or I wouldn't listen!

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I've long since given up being "ashamed" about the music I like. My tastes are so broad that I probably like something that will surprise someone.

Usually the whole "clergy" and "metal" thing is the big one.

Bwahaha!! Respect my friend, respect :dude

My guilty pleasures? Insane Clown Posse, Coheed and Cambria (still in-the-closet a bit. . .) and Mindless Self Indulgence. I also unashamedly like drum 'n bass, jungle, dub, dubstep, hip-hop, techno, IDM, dance, and shoegaze, despite my beard, long hair, tattoos, and all-black attire, which presents its fair share of surprises as well.

Music is just too good. . . That, and I love to throw people off ;)