PDA

View Full Version : String it a long

Fingerhurting
July 10th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Boo:rockon
Hi all got me guitar couple days a go,Never played before in my life That's why i is here to learn from the best,(Creepin) can you tell lol
Thing is even been a nube like i am,I can see that the strings are for a better term crap.
So should i invest in a now set that are not like cheese wire and if so what kind should i be look in at Any help please
Thanks for look in in
peace:master.

Heywood Jablomie
July 10th, 2010, 04:07 PM
As a beginner, they're gonna feel like cheese cutters for a while, no matter what strings you use. That's one of the most daunting challenges of starting to learn the guitar. If you practice regularly, calluses will form and help that situation a lot.

Choosing your favorite strings will be an ongoing process of trying different types, brands and gauges, and learning how to properly restring your guitar is an important skill you should learn.

Fingerhurting
July 10th, 2010, 04:45 PM
:dude
True unless you have them ad on's lommi has...:thumbsup

Fingerhurting
July 10th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Boo:AOK
Was just watching lomml Playin,So as you you pretend to play along:rockya,Now dont for get its only two days ive had it and know sweet fa regarding what to do with it, Only knowing that i want to play it as all you play yours good or bad:master .Any way as i was sayin:thwap .
Tonight was the first time it felt right just wereing it,Sound daft hope not:nope .

DeanEVO_Dude
July 10th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Boo:rockon
Hi all got me guitar couple days a go,Never played before in my life That's why i is here to learn from the best,(Creepin) can you tell lol
Thing is even been a nube like i am,I can see that the strings are for a better term crap.
So should i invest in a now set that are not like cheese wire and if so what kind should i be look in at Any help please
Thanks for look in in
peace:master.

Congrats on the new guitar/hobby! I find it fun, though I am not that good, nor am I fast of fleet fingers, but fun just the same.

As for getting a new set of strings, YES! But, I caution, at this time, get them one set at a time. If this is a new guitar, I find that most manufacturers put 9's on most new guitars. The are a light guage, less tension on the strings, making it easier to play. There are some players out there that like 9's, some like 10's, guys like Stevie Ray Vaughan like 12's or 13's (really heavy strings!). See whay your favorite player uses and try something like he uses. There are the guys that like hybrids, light top - heavy bottom, etc... I would reccomend a standard set of 10's, my preference is for D'Addario, mainly cause they are inexpensive and last a long time for me. I should explain: 9's, 10's, etc. referrs to the size of the high E string... 9's = .009, 10's = .010, etc. With a set of 10's, you will have far fewer broken high E strings (especally if the guitar is equiped with a tremolo/whammy bar!). You may find that once your fingers are "broken in" with calouses, you like heavier strings, or you may find that you like lighter strings, that's why I reccomend that you buy them 1 set at a time, then when you settle in to a particular brand and gauge, then you can buy them 10 sets at a time.

Anyway, have fun, experiment when you can, and by all means, ask any questions you might have here at The Fret, plenty of people to answer them.

Keep rockin'! Cheers.:rockya

bcdon
July 10th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Welcome aboard!

Don't fret (pun intended) too much about the finger pain as it goes away with practice. The thing to remember is that you need to practice a little bit every day. I'd put some 9s on the guitar (I like Ernie Ball's Super Slinky) as they are much easier to fret (barre chords too). As you are just starting out -- hey, I am too -- don't be afraid to experiment with different strings and guitars. You've picked a fantastic world to join and you'll be rewarded by hard work. :dude

GuitarAcademy
July 10th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I'll suggest a set of SIT Strings, I use Rock N Roll gauge but Extra Light might work well for you. I've used them for years and many packs come with extra E's and B's in case you break on a few months in you have a quick swap.

GA