PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Healey

vroomery
July 29th, 2010, 10:42 PM
I don't know if thats been posted before but it definitely needs to be seen. Dude is crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikHI7_PMFNc

DeanEVO_Dude
July 29th, 2010, 10:47 PM
I don't know if thats been posted before but it definitely needs to be seen. Dude is crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikHI7_PMFNc

Great clip. He was an awesome player, such an un-orthodox style... Saddly, he is missed.

kidsmoke
July 29th, 2010, 11:53 PM
man. There's so much more to that than just a great player. Truly, a gift, and that he was able to find his way to the guitar at all, and that he was able to share it with people the way he did, and you can see how simply joyful he is to be playing.

one of those things that gives you hope. just, for life in general.

Thanks for sharing.

ZMAN
July 30th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Jeff was a fixture at the blues clubs in Toronto for many years. It seems that all of the greats pass on at an early age. Just 41. He was an avid collector of old 78 rpm blues and jazz records. Most of his playing was done with Fender Squier gutars, Makes you wonder, when I complain about not being able to see the dot position markers on some guitars. I guess you can overcome any handicap if you want to.

cedwards
July 30th, 2010, 09:50 AM
And he shared that collection with listeners across Canada on a cool CBC radio show for a number of years. Now Randy Bachman fills the spot and his show is getting better and better.

otaypanky
July 30th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Although Zman made reference to it, I'm not sure if the other posters know Jeff was blind. I was introduced to Jeffs music back in the early 80's while sitting around a campfire overlooking the French River in northern Ontario. My Canadian chums were all quite proud of their amazingly talented countryman. I was floored by what I heard come out of that little boom box we were listening to. At that time I didn't know he was sight impaired and had such an unusual playing style. Beside the link below where he plays with Stevie Ray, I really enjoyed his cameo appearance in the movie Roadhouse. His passion for music is an inspiration

XqU9RZqvFKY

LeadedEL84
July 30th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Although Zman made reference to it, I'm not sure if the other posters know Jeff was blind. I was introduced to Jeffs music back in the early 80's while sitting around a campfire overlooking the French River in northern Ontario. My Canadian chums were all quite proud of their amazingly talented countryman. I was floored by what I heard come out of that little boom box we were listening to. At that time I didn't know he was sight impaired and had such an unusual playing style. Beside the link below where he plays with Stevie Ray, I really enjoyed his cameo appearance in the movie Roadhouse. His passion for music is an inspiration

I was listening to Jeff Healey a little while before roadhouse came out. I had no idea he was blind or played the guitar on his lap until I saw him in the movie. I was already impressed with his style and monster note bends. I was blown away the first time I saw him fretting notes with his thumb and using his fingers the way he did.
The first music I had of his was on a 90 minute casette tape my friend recorded for me with a bunch of stuff from his first two albums. Then I later bought a greatest hits CD.
I think my all time favorite song from him was his cover of "While my Guitar Gently Weeps". I love what he did with that song. It was so powerful and new sounding.

Pickngrin
August 6th, 2010, 05:27 PM
He was a great player. I had the fortune of seeing him in a club setting on his See The Light tour. The other day, I happened to be watching some "One Hit Wonders of the 80s" show on VH1 and was surprised that they included Jeff Healey. I sure don't see him as a one-hit wonder. To make matters worse, they didn't even mention that the song they were featuring, Angel Eyes, is a John Hiatt tune. Nonetheless, it was good to see a video of Healey.

Thanks for the great videos, BTW!