PDA

View Full Version : HomeBrew Electronics

kidsmoke
June 4th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Anyone familiar with this brand?

I've been wanting a Morley A/B switch, and these guys sell something a bit more sophisticated, supposedly higher quality, less tone suck.

Looking for testimonials, suggestions.

sunvalleylaw
June 4th, 2011, 09:43 PM
no, but at first I thought it was some fancy brewing temperature/fermentation regulating equipment. Maybe Duhvoodooman or Tung can chime in, but I don't think you have to get too fancy with an A/B switch.

tunghaichuan
June 5th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Anyone familiar with this brand?

I've been wanting a Morley A/B switch, and these guys sell something a bit more sophisticated, supposedly higher quality, less tone suck.

Looking for testimonials, suggestions.

I've heard lots of bad things about the Morely and have heard the Whirlwind A/B box is marginally better. If you check on line or read reviews on vendors' sites you can get a feel for what the shortcomings are on each.

The HBE box (http://proguitarshop.com/store/effects-controllers-switching-c-602_100/homebrew-electronics-bytchn-swytchn-abc-p-476) looks pretty cool and has one output isolated with a transformer to prevent ground loops when using two amps. It's pricy though, and I haven't seen one so I don't know how durable it is.

I have a cheapo DOD A/B box and I can attest that ground loops really suck :) Definitely, don't get one. :D

kidsmoke
June 5th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I've heard lots of bad things about the Morely and have heard the Whirlwind A/B box is marginally better. If you check on line or read reviews on vendors' sites you can get a feel for what the shortcomings are on each.

The HBE box (http://proguitarshop.com/store/effects-controllers-switching-c-602_100/homebrew-electronics-bytchn-swytchn-abc-p-476) looks pretty cool and has one output isolated with a transformer to prevent ground loops when using two amps. It's pricy though, and I haven't seen one so I don't know how durable it is.

I have a cheapo DOD A/B box and I can attest that ground loops really suck :) Definitely, don't get one. :D

This is exactly what I've heard as well, and why this HBE box is so appealing. I'm looking to pay a fraction of that list price however.

thanks for the feedback!

Ian B.
October 10th, 2011, 04:08 AM
I had an HBE Power Screamer a while back. Pretty good overdrive. The 3-way toggle switch offers several interesting tones. I thought it sounded a lot better with the Burr Brown IC upgrade. I bought mine for $160 (with the Burr Brown IC) so I guess it was a pretty good deal.