PDA

View Full Version : I Need A New Jam Buddy

Bookkeeper's Son
October 12th, 2011, 09:13 AM
After four fun years of weekly sessions, Dave informed me that he's taking a hiatus. He said his motivation to play just isn't there. He even said he might sell his gear. It's gonna be a big hole to fill, cuz I really feel the need to play with other folks, hate to play alone. I guess a new Craigslist ad is in order......

NWBasser
October 13th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I think Frankenfretter is near you. Maybe you two could get together for jamming.

aeolian
October 13th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I'm in Portland, and I'm playing in a hobby band for fun. From what I remember you are not near to Portland, right?

Bookkeeper's Son
October 13th, 2011, 06:09 PM
NW: Sean and I have met. He's a really nice guy, but we have little in common musically.

aeolian: I'm in Corvallis - a bit far.

Bookkeeper's Son aka Ron

sunvalleylaw
October 13th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Well, I am about 9 or so hours east and a bit north from you on the old Oregon trail. Too far, but I am looking for a jam partner or band sitch too.

Eric
October 14th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Bookkeeper's Son aka Ron
aka Heywood Jablomie... :D

Back on topic though, it's tough to find someone with whom to play. You have to be in the same place, with similar musical tastes, roughly equivalent ability levels, enough free time, and you have to get along as people. I wish you luck in finding someone new. Has craigslist worked pretty well for you in the past?

Bookkeeper's Son
October 14th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I was lucky when I placed my ad four years ago. I met two guys, Dave and one other. I was musically compatible with both, though the other one hooked up with a band shortly after we met. The musical match between Dave and me was pretty remarkable, with our tastes dovetailing in many ways. We had even owned some of the same obscure records in the past, and shared a mutual affection for the Moody Blues. Four years is a long time, and things change, but I'm very glad about those four years that we had fun and actually made some pretty nice-sounding noise.

This is only the second time I've tried to do this, but I've already received one promising response - I'm waiting for a call shortly. Living in a small town, I'm not sure how thin the pickins are.

And I'm hoping that Dave gets his mojo back sometime.

FrankenFretter
October 14th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Good luck, Ron. I hope you're able to find someone who fits the bill. Sorry about Dave, that's too bad. Maybe Kurt at Bullfrog would let you put up a note there?

Bookkeeper's Son
October 14th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, Sean. I'll check out the local stores for bulletin boards.

aeolian
October 14th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Ron, is your handle a Steely Dan reference?

Bookkeeper's Son
October 14th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Ron, is your handle a Steely Dan reference?
Of course (I crossed my old man back in Oregon, Don't take me alive)

And I AM a bookkeeper's son; my dad was a CPA!

aeolian
October 14th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Just as I thought. It is one of my favorite songs; I like it enough to learn how to play the intro solo. The best I can do is get reasonably close.

Bookkeeper's Son
October 14th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Just as I thought. It is one of my favorite songs; I like it enough to learn how to play the intro solo. The best I can do is get reasonably close.
Cool! Anbody who attempts Larry Carlton has my respect.

Bookkeeper's Son
October 16th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I got but one reply to the ad so far, but I'm going to meet a new guy tomorrow afternoon. We didn't discuss a whole lot on the phone; seems that both of us felt that it makes sense to just get together and see what happens. He does seem to be a nice guy, with a quick sense of humor. And it's not very far away, which is good. Wish me luck; I'll report in again tomorrow.

aeolian
October 21st, 2011, 02:56 PM
Tomorrow was a few days ago, so how did it go?

Bookkeeper's Son
October 21st, 2011, 05:18 PM
Tomorrow was a few days ago, so how did it go?
Oops, forgot. It looks promising - we seem to have a lot in common musically, and personally, too, which is good. The guy is a very good harmony singer, so we're looking forward to doing CSN&Y type of stuff, which we both like. Starting next week, we're going to get together weekly and see how it goes.

After playing with the same guy for four years, it does feel strange starting all over again....kinda like my second marriage, minus the sex part.

FrankenFretter
October 21st, 2011, 06:01 PM
Oops, forgot. It looks promising - we seem to have a lot in common musically, and personally, too, which is good. The guy is a very good harmony singer, so we're looking forward to doing CSN&Y type of stuff, which we both like. Starting next week, we're going to get together weekly and see how it goes.

After playing with the same guy for four years, it does feel strange starting all over again....kinda like my second marriage, minus the sex part.

I'm sure you can work something out, Ron. ;)

Seriously, that's great. I love CSNY (as well as just CSN and Neil Young independently). If you guys start playing venues, let me know, I'll come down and heckle you. Oh, I meant applaud you, not heckle...

Bookkeeper's Son
October 21st, 2011, 06:04 PM
Sean, like Bill Murray said in Stripes, "No sir! But we're willing to learn, sir!" (or something like that)

bcdon
October 21st, 2011, 08:56 PM
Sean, like Bill Murray said in Stripes, "No sir! But we're willing to learn, sir!" (or something like that)

Do they send you someplace special?