PDA

View Full Version : Wow im scared of my pickupss

pes_laul
September 3rd, 2007, 07:09 PM
umm single coil pickups on a strat if you touch two of them at the same time will it shock (im a little parionoaid im almost afriaad to play my guitar lol):eek:

SuperSwede
September 4th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Just wait until you get your first amp power supply "kiss".. :D
Bzzzzzzzzz

marnold
September 4th, 2007, 08:10 AM
You've got a bad ground there someplace. There's no reason that should happen.

duhvoodooman
September 4th, 2007, 08:21 AM
You've got a bad ground there someplace. There's no reason that should happen.
+1!!! :eek:

pes_laul
September 4th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Just wait until you get your first amp power supply "kiss".. :D
Bzzzzzzzzz
um whats that mean???:( and if you touch the rods in your pickups two at a tim will it shock you (im curious cuz ive heard of that happening)

marnold
September 4th, 2007, 05:52 PM
um whats that mean???:( and if you touch the rods in your pickups two at a tim will it shock you (im curious cuz ive heard of that happening)
Once again, that shouldn't happen. If you are getting zapped by your guitar STOP PLAYING IT until you can locate the ground problem. Very bad things can happen. For example, if you are playing and then touch a metal railing or a mic that is properly grounded you could get zapped and you could be seriously injured or even die.

LagrangeCalvert
September 4th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Once again, that shouldn't happen. If you are getting zapped by your guitar STOP PLAYING IT until you can locate the ground problem. Very bad things can happen. For example, if you are playing and then touch a metal railing or a mic that is properly grounded you could get zapped and you could be seriously injured or even die.

AHHHHH...memories. We had an amp with a bad ground, an old Heath kit amp that was our bassist fathers that we lovingly named "sparky" cause it would shock you insanely IF you put your lips close to a mic or touched metal. I got it bad one day and thats when the amp was renamed "broken".

Fix your gear....your guitar and you will be thankful for it.

250Keith
September 4th, 2007, 06:37 PM
AHHHHH...memories. We had an amp with a bad ground, an old Heath kit amp that was our bassist fathers that we lovingly named "sparky" cause it would shock you insanely IF you put your lips close to a mic or touched metal. I got it bad one day and thats when the amp was renamed "broken".

Fix your gear....your guitar and you will be thankful for it.

Ha Ha! Hope you did'int look like Mick after the shock.
Classic.

Spudman
September 4th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I've welded my lips a time or two to a microphone too.:eek: It's better than Lithium for what ails ya.;)

Get your guitar or amph fixed right away.

pes_laul
September 4th, 2007, 07:39 PM
aahh got it fixed there was a wire connecting to the plate where the springs attach from the trem so i saughtered it and it seems to work good. I also had a bad shock experience when i was playing with some guys my friend asked me to unplug one of his pedals cuz he put in batteries and it was still on when i unplugged it ZAP! it didnt really hurt but it made my arm feel like jello and i coudlnt play guitar right lol

marnold
September 4th, 2007, 08:49 PM
aahh got it fixed there was a wire connecting to the plate where the springs attach from the trem so i saughtered it and it seems to work good. I also had a bad shock experience when i was playing with some guys my friend asked me to unplug one of his pedals cuz he put in batteries and it was still on when i unplugged it ZAP! it didnt really hurt but it made my arm feel like jello and i coudlnt play guitar right lol
I hope that was it because it doesn't take a lot of current across your heart before your relatives have to pick out a nice box to bury you in.

LagrangeCalvert
September 4th, 2007, 09:59 PM
I hope that was it because it doesn't take a lot of current across your heart before your relatives have to pick out a nice box to bury you in.

Volts hurt.....amps are what really kills people. I mean volts can, but somthing like 3miliamps is deadly.

One of my really smart friends who thought he knew everything unplugged the a TV's power cable - the one that goes from the back of the VACUUM TUBE and was grounding himself on a I beam......all you could hear is a sound similar to a loud HUM. The Picture tube will hold a charge like a cap. for YEARS - even if you only turn the TV on and then right off.

I would honestly say for YOUR safety take this guitar to a tech. or luth and have him work on it. Unless your good with electronics (not saying your are or not....I don't know you that well) you might be fixing on ONE of the possible problems....and after all these shocks your taking you might want to get a hair cut.....I think this is the reason HAIR bands got started....shocking amps = split ends.:D

sunvalleylaw
September 4th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah, then there was that horse fence I kept backing up and putting my hand against while trying to dig out a stump on a friend's Dad's house in college. Stoopid! I like to leave any significant electrical stuff to someone with training and experience. I will change out a home light fixture, but I still am real careful there about breakers and testing the leads before touching. Mistakes have taught me that. I say if you are not real sure, go make sure with someone who has the training and experience to really know.

SuperSwede
September 5th, 2007, 01:18 AM

You should really take your guitar to a tech, shocks can be dangerous.
Sometimes a amp or mic can give you a shock, thus resulting in a power "kiss".. Not a very pleasant surprise, but as Spud says... it beats a lot of older psych treatmeants such as Lithium or shock therapy ;)