PDA

View Full Version : Freebie Guitar Lessons

marnold
September 29th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I saw in my new Premier Guitar magazine that TrueFire is offering its top ten lessons for free (http://www.truefire.com/taketen) on CD-ROM. I signed up for it. AFAIK, there is no catch. I've always wanted to try some of their courses. If you want to get a taste for what they're like, click here (http://magazine.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2007/Oct/Premier_Clinic_powered_by_TrueFire.aspx).

DaveO
September 29th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Done. Thanks.
Dave :beer:

tunghaichuan
September 29th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Cool. Thanks for the head's up.

tung

I saw in my new Premier Guitar magazine that TrueFire is offering its top ten lessons for free (http://www.truefire.com/taketen) on CD-ROM. I signed up for it. AFAIK, there is no catch. I've always wanted to try some of their courses. If you want to get a taste for what they're like, click here (http://magazine.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2007/Oct/Premier_Clinic_powered_by_TrueFire.aspx).

M29
September 29th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Wow Thanks a million marnold:D

M29

just strum
September 30th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the link. Played until 1:00 Am this morning, up at 6:30 looking for some new stuff and the first thing I come across is your post - much appreciated.

Edit: I've been reviewing and messing around with some of the stuff at TrueFire and I came across some really good material - thanks again for the link.

Guitar Gal
September 30th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the link Marnold :AOK:

Looks like a great site!

GG

marnold
October 9th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Got mine in the mail today. I'll have to do some noodling around with it.

R_of_G
October 9th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks Marnold. Look forward to trying some of these lessons out.

sunvalleylaw
October 9th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks Marnold! I am checking it out.

Spudman
October 9th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Oooo! Free. I like free! Got one coming.

just strum
October 9th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Got mine today - getting ready to load it and have a look - thanks again.

just strum
October 9th, 2007, 07:24 PM
The case states 20 video segments, interactive software. Mine has no video and some of it sounds more like a drum lesson.

Anyone else have a chance to view it?

DaveO
October 9th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Just got mine today. Looks like some good stuff, lots of information.
Dave

marnold
October 9th, 2007, 08:33 PM
The case states 20 video segments, interactive software. Mine has no video and some of it sounds more like a drum lesson.

Anyone else have a chance to view it?
Did you run the executable in the root directory of the CD? Otherwise, you can play the lessons directly in your web browser or stand-alone Flash player. The lessons are Flash animations. You probably played one of the backing tracks. The Lessons are in the various "les_*" directories under data/cat_1 (or data\cat_1 for you DOS folks) on the CD.

just strum
October 11th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Did you run the executable in the root directory of the CD? Otherwise, you can play the lessons directly in your web browser or stand-alone Flash player. The lessons are Flash animations. You probably played one of the backing tracks. The Lessons are in the various "les_*" directories under data/cat_1 (or data\cat_1 for you DOS folks) on the CD.

Sorry, ISP had troubles or I should say a few of us on the street had trouble and our ISP was slow to respond.

Anyway, thanks for the instructions and I got it going, was working on some of the lessons last night.

250Keith
October 11th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up!
never heard of the site till now.
Keith.

marnold
October 11th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I know this probably applies to no one except me, but I was able to get the disc working in Linux using the Windows binary and WINE. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. Even without the "front end" I can play the videos alone just fine in Firefox (although it makes them fullscreen), the Flash standalone player, or MPlayer.

sunvalleylaw
October 16th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Just got mine and loaded it up. It did not automatically open the Apple OS X DVD player, like concert DVD's or movies usually do, so I just clicked on the flash player. Works and sounds great! Thanks!

just strum
October 18th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Since you received your DVD, has anyone started any of the lessons? I'm starting at the beginning with Blues Alchemy. I've got the first two lines down, but stumbling over the third line with the hammer ons and pull-offs.

The cover states the DVD is for intermediate and advanced players. I certainly consider myself in a beginner class without any doubt, but I am enjoying the DVD.

Anyone else have some feedback?

250Keith
October 18th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Thay just sent me an email stating that thay shiped my copy, how long did it take to get yours?

just strum
October 18th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Mine arrived in two weeks - Ordered 9/29, received 10/9

Spudman
October 18th, 2007, 05:00 PM
I got mine in in 4 business days.

just strum
October 18th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I got mine in in 4 business days.

Moderator perk

marnold
October 18th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Thay just sent me an email stating that thay shiped my copy, how long did it take to get yours?
I got my email confirmation after I got my CD :)

As far as reviews go, I too have started a bit of Blues Alchemy. It should be right about my level of proficiency. Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of time to devote to it.

sunvalleylaw
October 18th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I got my email confirmation after I got my CD :)

As far as reviews go, I too have started a bit of Blues Alchemy. It should be right about my level of proficiency. Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of time to devote to it.

That is where I started too. Probably a bit above me, but I like shooting high. Haven't had time to do more than start it up and look at the first part a little. I have to get to Robert's recent blues lesson too. That one looks killer!