PDA

View Full Version : Frank Gambale

just strum
November 19th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I just received my Guitar Player magazine and they noted this guy as the undisputed champ of sweeping. This guy is so fluid it is amazing.

Rather than post on or two videos, here is a link to one and you can bounce around at viewing some others.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kwnPpU1VDrg&feature=related

Robert
November 19th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Ahh, good ol' Frank! I used to try hard to get into that style when I first heard him 15 years ago. I was never any good at it and I soon tired of him. I bought some of his solo albums, which I thought were abominable as far as composing goes. He sure can do a "clean sweep" though! :D

Spudman
November 19th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I did a Gambale string skipping lesson and thought it was cool, but I'm with Robert his material just gets pretty blah to me after a while. Great guitarist for sure though.

luvmyshiner
November 19th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Wow, I thought it was pretty cool guys. He makes it look so effortless.

just strum
November 19th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I know nothing about his composing ability, I was just taken by his fluid, effortless motion.

abraxas
November 20th, 2007, 02:53 AM
Gambale is a phenomenal player technically speaking. Is is strange but I like him the most on other people's works (e.g. Chick Corea) or collaborative projects.

Robert
November 20th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Same here abraxas, he is a great player and I like him with others too. His own composing seems to really suck though. He played less "sweepy" than normal in this video clip - I thought it was a good video lesson.

Tone2TheBone
November 20th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I remember this dude.

eichaan
November 20th, 2007, 09:35 AM
My teacher back in the 80's had been one of Frank's students at GIT. My teacher (Jim McCarthy), could sweep amazingly well, and I love the way it looks when someone who can really do it is sweeping. It's like the right hand is hardly moving.

Later, around 1991 I saw Frank play a small club with Chick Corea's Electrik Band. One of the best shows I ever saw.

I can't play like the "Thunder from Down Under", but he is a great player, teacher and musician.

Radioboy950
November 20th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I remember him most from his work with Chick, which I thought was great.
Watching clips like this motivate me to really keep working on different ways to phrase things. Same with Robben Ford, I dig his phrasing.

just strum
November 20th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I never heard of him until I got the magazine yesterday. Prior to Robert's initial post, I thought Frank was a session guy, a good session guy.

Another "learn something new everyday" moment.