PDA

View Full Version : New Dokken

marnold
February 15th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I know that most of you aren't trapped in the 80s like me, but from my avatar you can note that I'm a big fan of Dokken, especially with George Lynch on guitar. Some tracks and clips from their new album "Lightening Strikes Again" are available on their Myspace page (http://www.myspace.com/officialdokken). They have been comparing this album to "Tooth and Nail," which I take with a grain of salt since that's one of my all-time favorite albums. From the clips it is clear that Jon Levin is doing his best to channel Lynch. Don can't hit the high notes like he used to, but he's still better than 90% of metal singers these days. While I'm not sure that I'll ever hold another Dokken album in as high of a regard as "Tooth and Nail" it seems to be more in that vein (sorry, Robert) than the alt.dokken that plagued most of their albums since the 80s.

:rockon:

t_ross33
February 15th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Hey that's cool Marnold! I've always liked Dokken - moreso than most of their 80's European hair-metal contemporaries. Instills hope in me that it's possible to keep rockin' after 40 :bravo::dude:

tunghaichuan
February 15th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I was a big George Lynch/Dokken fan back in the 80s. I saw them live once, I think they opened up for Judas Priest, maybe Aerosmith. They played a pretty good set, but were loud. :dude:

tung

Adrian30
February 15th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I know that most of you aren't trapped in the 80s like me, but from my avatar you can note that I'm a big fan of Dokken, especially with George Lynch on guitar. Some tracks and clips from their new album "Lightening Strikes Again" are available on their Myspace page (http://www.myspace.com/officialdokken). They have been comparing this album to "Tooth and Nail," which I take with a grain of salt since that's one of my all-time favorite albums. From the clips it is clear that Jon Levin is doing his best to channel Lynch. Don can't hit the high notes like he used to, but he's still better than 90% of metal singers these days. While I'm not sure that I'll ever hold another Dokken album in as high of a regard as "Tooth and Nail" it seems to be more in that vein (sorry, Robert) than the alt.dokken that plagued most of their albums since the 80s.

:rockon:

I guess it depends on what aspect of the 80s you are talking about. I still wear canvas All Stars regardless of the occasion. :rockon: :D

Sblack
February 15th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I, too, am a huge fan of Tooth and Nail and early Dokken, but Dokken just isn't Dokken without Lynch and Pilson.

(edited for spelling)

marnold
February 15th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I, too, am a huge fan of Tooth and Nail and early Dokken, but Dokken just isn't Dokken wthout Lynch and Pilson.
I'm with you for the most part, although Dysfunctional is lamentable even with the whole gang. "Erase the Slate" is, for me, the best Dokken album of the post-Lynch era. Reb Beach really tears it up. Jeff Pilson was still on that one.

Sblack
February 16th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I'm with you for the most part, although Dysfunctional is lamentable even with the whole gang. "Erase the Slate" is, for me, the best Dokken album of the post-Lynch era. Reb Beach really tears it up. Jeff Pilson was still on that one.
The only Dokken (original line up) disaapointment for me was the 1995 reunion live CD, Live in Japan. I loved hearing Lynch play, but there were times on that CD that he flubbed through some solos and his picking/vibrato seemed uneven and sloppy. Don's vocals on said CD suffered as well. But the CD had it high moments, too.

I have always admired Reb's playing. But I missed Lynch's tone and legato during that era.

I saw Dokken on the Monsters of Rock tour in 1987, and they were awesome, awesome, awesome!

marnold
February 16th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I saw Dokken on the Monsters of Rock tour in 1987, and they were awesome, awesome, awesome!
As did I at the Pontiac Silverdome.