PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a blues/clean home amp

tjcurtin1
March 28th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Hey guys 'n gals,

I'm looking for an at-home amp in the price range of the Vox ad30vt. I usually like a clean amp sound that would be good for blues/jazz (like Robert's tone on the John Hiatt stretch of his 'my blue guitar' video). Any suggestions?

Thanks! TJC

Robert
March 28th, 2008, 04:56 PM
How about a Vox AD30VT? :D

tjcurtin1
March 28th, 2008, 10:03 PM
The Vox is certainly an option - I just didn't know if there might be a better choice since I won't use most of the amp models on the ad30vt

sunvalleylaw
March 28th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Well, for a good, clean tube tone, with a good dirt channel, try a Peavey Classic 30, found used priced pretty reasonably. Works great for blues tones, and takes pedals well. Does most things but real metal tones.

Robert
March 28th, 2008, 10:17 PM
In that price range, it's hard to beat the Vox. Maybe the Roland cube amps can get some of those sounds, but really, the Vox Rox. Can't go wrong with a rhyme like that. ;)

sunvalleylaw
March 28th, 2008, 10:20 PM
In that price range, it's hard to beat the Vox. Maybe the Roland cube amps can get some of those sounds, but really, the Vox Rox. Can't go wrong with a rhyme like that. ;)

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1828

Maybe $300ish.

Robert
March 28th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I still say for a home amp played at low volumes, the Vox is hard to beat. A good tube amp will give you a better clean tone, but not at low volume, according to my old ears. Do I need to play "The River Knows Your Name" through my Vox on a video clip for ya?

Or you can get the amp I used on that clip - http://cgi.ebay.com/Reverend-Hellhound-40-60-112-Combo-Tube-Amp-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ220216749547QQihZ012QQcategoryZ 121161QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sunvalleylaw
March 28th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Hmm, I don't think I meant to quote your response as though I was disagreeing. I meant to edit my own post to add info to my suggestion.

Jipes
March 29th, 2008, 03:43 AM
A good alternative is the Laney LC15, it's a tube amp and delivers a raunchy tone even at low volumes thanks to it's master volume. i have one at home for training and for small rehearsals room ;)

That's the amp that I use in most of my (modest) pedagogic lessons

markb
March 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM
The Fender Superchamp XD looks good too. Tube power stage, good clean tone and a modelling channel for anything else. It's only 15 watts but on the evidence of other 15 watt tube power stages it should have a reasonable amount of volume.

just strum
March 29th, 2008, 07:17 PM
One of the advantages of the AD30VT is the output control on the back. It's a nice feature when you have to keep the sound down and don't want to lose the tone.

I also find that I don't play mine at 30 watts and the setting is usually somewhere around 20 to 25. However, I do on occasion take it up to 30.

I'm not sure how many of you with the 30 or 50 tend to lower the output, but it's a feature I use a lot.

tjcurtin1
March 29th, 2008, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=Robert] Do I need to play "The River Knows Your Name" through my Vox on a video clip for ya?

Well, sure! While you're at it, shoot it close on your left hand, and I'll get the added benefit of figuring out how to play it!:D

tot_Ou_tard
March 29th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Robert what model would you use for Jazz? Boutique Clean? The Roland Cubes have a JC Chorus model that'd work well for Jazz.

Blaze
March 30th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I bought this Traynor 40 watts 4 years ago for $800. canadian and it sounds big , clean or overdrive ..Got a celestion vintage 30 or you can get the smallest one, 20 watts too ..These are versatile amps ,playin Jazz , Blues etc..

I have no problem compare these traynors to all kind of fender or so and there canadian made ..

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=252

Sound samples :

http://www.traynoramps.com/default.asp?p1=4&p_id=37

Blazes :dude:

ZMAN
March 30th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I would say my favourite home amp was the Blues Junior. 15 watts that sounds like 40. That is until I got my 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue. Clean, beautiful tone. 22 watts and if you decide to head out it can stand alone or be mic'd. This amp gave me the tone I have been searching for, forever.
I also have a Blues Deluxe Reissue, and a Custom Vibrolux, but they are pretty loud 40 watters. Overkill for me, but I was "searching", and I hate to part with gear!

tot_Ou_tard
March 30th, 2008, 09:15 AM
That is until I got my 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue. Clean, beautiful tone.
I played one for a short time once. Beautiful clean tone indeed.

Robert
March 30th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I don't like using the Vox AD50VT for jazz. It doesn't have the right kind of bass response for getting the tone I like when I play jazz. No, I'd use my Heatseeker or Hellhound for that purpose.

The Traynors and Fender Deluxe are both great blues and jazz amps.

wingsdad
March 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Robert what model would you use for Jazz? Boutique Clean? The Roland Cubes have a JC Chorus model that'd work well for Jazz.
No question a small tube amp (5-30 Watts, 8-12" speaker) willl be a fine amp for clean jazz and blues of all types.

But most lack a headphone out, and unless I missed something, it's not clear if that might be a must for your situation, tj. The only one I've come across with one is the Peavey ValveKing Royal 8. That amp's been discussed around here a bit. Anybody know of any others? Not sure, but I think the new little Fenders mentioned here have it.

The original Roland Jazz Chorus 120 was the 'Holy Grail' of clean for Jazz players. So naturally, the JC120 model is on all the Cubes and Roland/Boss amp modelers and Digiatal Audio Workstations.

The 'Black Face' model on the Cubes, etc. is based on a Fender Twin Reverb. Another 'Holy Grail' of the 'Fender Clean' sound, and for Blues tone.

Of course, played 'out loud', since both those amps were open-back 2x12's, whatever modeling sound you get is going to be a simulation somewhat short of 100% the mark without at least tht type of speaker output. The operative term is 'simulation'.

I had a Cube 30 (new model out now, I forget the exact model number) & it's is in the same price range as the AD30VT. I only let it go because I preferred a different amp for potential 'playing out'.

I have a MicroCube as a compact practice amp, and used in direct-out mode (headphone jack for the obvious intent, or as a DI), if you A/B it with any of its Big Brothers in the series, you'll find them virtually identical in sound. It's purely a matter of how loud you need it for any 'live' play as to which Cube you'd need.

t_ross33
March 30th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I don't like using the Vox AD50VT for jazz. It doesn't have the right kind of bass response for getting the tone I like when I play jazz.
That's because you STILL haven't dropped the hammer on your 335-type axe :D You just can't get jazzy with all those single coil guitars you have laying around. Something with a nice creamy smooth neck 'bucker is in order. Come on! Get with it! You're falling behind. You haven't picked up a new guitar in over a YEAR :poke: :bootyshake:

Oh, to keep on topic... my vote is for the Vox AD30VT. I think you'll find nifty uses for the other onbaord models and the ability to dial back the output and headphone out make it an ideal home amp. Only thing lacking is a CD input for jammin' along with a backing track.

tot_Ou_tard
March 30th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I agree that the AD**VT amps are not spectaucular jazz amphs. TJC wants a clean/bluesy amph for jazz & blues. I'd go with a small wattage tube amph.

Stum: It depends on the sound I'm going after. Since I tend toward the clean -> overdrive side of things, I'll sometimes put the thingy on the back all the way up & keep the gain & volume down & the master to what sounds good.

Blaze
March 30th, 2008, 10:58 AM
The original Roland Jazz Chorus 120 was the 'Holy Grail' of clean for Jazz players.

I d say the Jazz chorus 120 for jazz

Fender_Bassman for Blues

& obviously my Traynor Ycv 40 wr for all style..

Blazes:dude:

ZMAN
March 30th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Blazes" How about this pair.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/NaturalSheraton.jpg

Blaze
March 30th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Blazes" How about this pair.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/NaturalSheraton.jpg

Oh! Nice ..

Blazes:bravo:

ZMAN
March 31st, 2008, 07:37 AM
That was the same amp as the YCV 40 WR but was the R version. I never warmed up to it. I had it on consignment from a friend and did not buy it. He ended up selling it. I tried to use it as a trade in and the shop said they had two brand new in the box. They were 2 years old by then. They just did not sell.

Blaze
March 31st, 2008, 08:57 AM
That was the same amp as the YCV 40 WR but was the R version. I never warmed up to it. I had it on consignment from a friend and did not buy it. He ended up selling it. I tried to use it as a trade in and the shop said they had two brand new in the box. They were 2 years old by then. They just did not sell.

I looked at your pictures , that s a cool little guitar army you have over there and these amps are good weapons..

Ciao

Blazes :dude:

Duff
April 6th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Tjcurtain1,

I have discovered a fabulous at home amp that is unreal, loud, has power switchability down to a half watt, is solid state, powered by six c cell batteries or the included power supply, has a six and a half inch speaker, steel grill cover, and can be taken out in the field, camping, picknicing, and will work for thirty hours on a half watt.

It's the Vox DA5 and it may not be what you think it is. It is LOUD, but can be very soft at night when playing yourself to sleep or relaxin' because of the half watt and two and a half watt settings. Highest setting is five watts which will rattle the wall of your house, believe me. Piss off the neighbors, get your family upset, etc. Plenty loud. But outstanding tone and tweakability.

It has several quality effects built in with a tap tempo feature to control up to three parameters for each effect, super cool. It emulates eleven different amps: clean one and two; Blues one, two and three; Chrunch one and two; Higain one, two and three; and Drive. It has separate volume, gain and tone knobs. Bypass on the effects, shuts them off.

It has one other flabergasting feature. On the back is a mic input with its separate volume control, so you can sing along with your playing if you want, or have someone else sing.

There is a removable battery cover that is velcroed on that you can take off to have either the closed cab sound or open back sound.

This baby has a carrying strap included that can be replaced with any guitar strap. This is a super well thought out item.

This baby is a little dragon. It really hits the tones right on with quality vox rems Korg tones. It is so versitile and pick responsive it is mind blowing. This has to be the best or one of the best at home amps going. The sound quality is outstanding and it's not possible to believe that it is a five watt solid state little amp.

I use mine all the time and I have a Fender Super Champ XD that I use about the other half of all the time.

The DA5 is readily available and I paid 129 new at a local store that price matches the big internet places so that with tax it comes out to the internet price.

Dudes are recommending to you fairly big tube amps and other substantially big amps that surpass what I need for a small home amp. Plus this has portability. Headphone jack, line out, aux in.

This is the best at home amp I have and I have a few. I have a Crate Palamino V8 which is a five watt all tube amp and sounds great but is quite loud when it sounds great. I've got a Vox Pathfinder 15R that is super cool but does not have the portability or tonal variability. I've got a really cool 98 dollar at audioallies.com Behringer GM110 that is analog modelling and of great quality, unbelievably enough, check the ratings on harmonycentral.com user reviews; but you are starting to get up in watts like those other guys were saying.

The five watt Vox DA5 is something that will totally surprise you. I would highly recommend checking it out before buying a larger amp that you can't take out in the field, camping, on the deck, etc, places where there is no power, like the back yard or park.

I can't emphasize enough that this is a great at home amp that probably doesn't get enough recognition but must certainly have a cult following. It is truly awesome.

Have you ever wanted to take your guitar somewhere and show it to someone but the place you wanted to go didn't have power; like the park or by some creek or some other remote or romantic place? This amp will allow that to happen.

It is a really valuable addition to my guitar rigs. The thing is built to stand up to a lot of adverse conditions; steel grill, heavy construction, nothing flimsy and would fit in a decent size day pack with all your accessories.

I hope that mentioning this high quality small home style amp sheds some contrast on the way larger amps that many have suggested. No doubt these are great amps, but they are in many cases powerful enough to drownd out a heavy drummer and cost multiples of the price of the DA5. There is even a DA20 that has two speakers but still only runs at five watts in the field.

I guess it could be considered similar to a small valvetronix but without the tube; however, the sound quality is super outstanding. Check it out on harmonycentral.com user reviews.

Hope this info is of some help to you or anyone else that doesn't know much about the Vox DA5.

Duffy

This is an unreal product.

just strum
April 6th, 2008, 11:28 AM
zZound has both the Vox DA5 ($140 new/$110 B stock) and the Behringer GM110 ($150 new/$120 B stock) in stock.

I knew about the DA5, but hadn't heard anything about the Behringer GM110. The Behringer certainly deserves a look, but it is 30 watts. However if you are playing the Vox loud, there is no reason not to have a 30 watt instead.

sunvalleylaw
April 6th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I keep thinking one of the smaller vox modelers will be the next amph to add for me. I keep going back and forth in my mind between the AD30 and the DA5. Well, not happening right now anyhow.

Justaguyin_nc
April 6th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Being an addict of the fret for the last few years...
I been through a bunch of amps already..how did that happen? (G.A.S.)

I have always passed on the VOX ad series due to what you hear / read about quality issues.

But, here you don't read that to much.

I had the Fender cyber champs.. Bassman.. Ampeg.. Hellhound.. Rolands MicroCube and Vox DA5...

The Rolands MicroCube has the cleanest blues/jazz sound of the bunch imho!

I gave it away to my daughter and miss it at times..

Now the VOX DA5 does not feel as well built, but it is.. mine has fallen many times.. (cats) with no harm...

The VOX has great screaming solos in there.. it just does not have the clean clean sounds.. imho.. although it does RAWK!

Look into the Rolands for Clean Blues/Jazz sounds..
it's an amazing little amp..
They can get pretty loud for home use and record
well thru the headphone jack. alot of amp for $125.00
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLMICROCUBE

They have come out with some alternatives to it now in the Ad30 price range.
Microcube RX
rmw-foKkCFI
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLMICROCUBERX
with 4 4inch speakers.. looks interesting..
Have a listen to a MicroCube.. ya justa might like it..

Hard to beat the clean.. but they don't have the dirt like VOX..

Duff
April 6th, 2008, 05:31 PM
The Behringer GM110 is available at audioallies.com for 98 US.

It is not battery powered but is really nice and has outstanding reviews on harmonycentral.com.

It is, as a point of interest, analog modeling; not digital modeling. It has a three way switch for amp type, a three way switch for clean/drive type, and a three way switch for cabinet emulation type. It has separate drive and volume controls in addition to the drive types. It is super loud and neat. High, mid, and low eq knobs.

It has a DI out on the back, effects loop, ground lift switch, speaker out jack, and quarter inch headphone jack.

It is reliable according to the reviews and I have never had a problem with it. For 98 dollars I'd say it is way better than my Crate Flexwave 15R, but the 15R has a twelve inch speaker but no effects or modeling except reverb. I keep it by my drums in case I want to jam and have a cry baby stuffed in the back of it.

The Vox is truly amazing and LOUD.

The GM110 is more like a regular amp, no battery power option and not all those great Vox Korg rems digital models and effects. Three blues amp emulations?!?!?!?!?!?! That alone is amazing.

I think the clean is great. Two different cleans. One is super clean. It makes a strat sing or a P90 cut thru big time. I'm definitely a proponent of the DA5, absolutely.

Duffy

tjcurtin1
April 6th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys. I'm still listening, even thought I'm fighting the GAS! I have a Behringer Thunderbird gm108; straight solid state with no effects - I use a Digitch modeler with it. It actually sounds pretty good, and can get very loud (15 watts and an 8 inch speaker) - I just can't seem to conjure up the sounds I'm looking for with it. It may be that I need to play with the combination of the gear more to find what I'm looking for, but I hear the sounds on record and on some of your clips and wish I could find them.