PDA

View Full Version : Yet another 10 year old that plays better than me

Slowhand
May 11th, 2008, 04:25 AM
How do they find the time to get this good at this age ?
still:bravo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4CR3GoB3YY&eurl=http://www.bestofyoutube.com/

just strum
May 11th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I've come to accept these things and do not search for an explanation, reason, or cause anymore.

One of my last conclusions as to why these things happen - their youth has no fear of breaking anything (learning the computer philosophy), there mind and hands have been trained from an early age of using video controls that the left and right hands act very independently from each other, and I thought the videos were doctored up videos until I saw these little humans performing at the same level where I take lessons.

And like you, I finally was left with only one response - :bravo:

Slowhand, you selected a nice video to display the talent of the little people.

Rabies
May 11th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Way to go, kiddo. I had to take some time and check out his other videos, too. Little dude can tear it up. Wish I could do some of that stuff. :master:

warren0728
May 11th, 2008, 09:21 AM
the kid can definitely play....

it's funny....when i go for my guitar lessons the student before me is about 14 and the one after me looks to be about 12....

there combined age is still almost 20 years younger than me!! :thwap:

ww

Tim
May 11th, 2008, 02:51 PM
WOW! I have no words to say after watching those videos.

Pickngrin
May 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Amazing!

pes_laul
May 11th, 2008, 04:54 PM
How do they find the time to get this good at this age ?
still:bravo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4CR3GoB3YY&eurl=http://www.bestofyoutube.com/
the reason us kids can get so good is cuz we have all the time in the world-no jobs, no family, no bills you name it and those people who are really serious about it will play for hours at a time.

warren0728
May 11th, 2008, 06:42 PM
the reason us kids can get so good is cuz we have all the time in the world-no jobs, no family, no bills you name it and those people who are really serious about it will play for hours at a time.
good points kris...plus us old farts just move slower....including our fingers and our brains!! :messedup:

ww

just strum
May 11th, 2008, 06:49 PM
good points kris...plus us old farts just move slower....including our fingers and our brains!! :messedup:

ww

I think Kris's point is a good one. But I have a question for you Warren - now that you are taking lessons have you found that the fingers are moving faster? I noticed it about a week ago, I think it's a case of realizing how it all comes together and the ears are becoming more in tune with the notes.

Or then it could be some of the medication us old people have to take.

warren0728
May 11th, 2008, 06:52 PM
But I have a question for you Warren - now that you are taking lessons have you found that the fingers are moving faster? I noticed it about a week ago, I think it's a case of realizing how it all comes together and the ears are becoming more in tune with the notes.

Or then it could be some of the medication us old people have to take.
a little....but i'm still pretty slow (lucky for me i like the old slow blues ballads)....truthfully i have not been practicing as much as i should....it's been hectic around here and i have ben spending a lot of time looking at used cars (was time to replace my 1994 civic with 210,000 miles on it!)

i can definitely tell a difference in my "ear" though....i can tell immediately if i hit a wrong note or start playing in the wrong key....

i'll have to look into that medication thing!! :beer:

ww

Katastrophe
May 11th, 2008, 07:30 PM
The child in the video has extraordinary ability and feel. Great playing. However, he also has something most kids his age don't have - an attention span long enough to learn the concepts that he's been taught.

just strum
May 11th, 2008, 07:35 PM
a little....but i'm still pretty slow (lucky for me i like the old slow blues ballads)....truthfully i have not been practicing as much as i should....it's been hectic around here and i have ben spending a lot of time looking at used cars (was time to replace my 1994 civic with 210,000 miles on it!)

i can definitely tell a difference in my "ear" though....i can tell immediately if i hit a wrong note or start playing in the wrong key....

i'll have to look into that medication thing!! :beer:

ww

I think part of it is also the increase in confidence. I'm like you, I like the slow blues. So maybe as I get better I'm playing the songs too fast.

aeolian
May 12th, 2008, 11:10 AM
This boy is an impressive guitar player. I found many hot young players to be only technically good, but lack feel to their music; he absolutely plays with feel. He is very good to listen to and I'm very impressed.

Spudman
May 12th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I've decide now that I SUCK. I just watched Blackbird.

When he discovers women and booze he'll come down to our level for sure.

just strum
May 12th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I've decide now that I SUCK. I just watched Blackbird.

When he discovers women and booze he'll come down to our level for sure.

:rotflmao:

thearabianmage
May 12th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Right, there might a more complex reason for this little chappie being able to play as he does. Pressure from parents. Simple. He is their outlet for the desires they had as a kid when their parents made them act out their desires and so on. Now, I'm not trying to discriminate, but I would actually wager this kid being from China (not just because he's Chinese) and if he is that means he's an only child and his parents have a sense of duty in turning him into a money-making machine. Virtuosic playing among the adolescent age group is, after all, not entirely uncommon in China. But think about it, this kid is 10 and is learning and playing songs across a wide range of music. I think someone might be telling him what to play. Notice how most of the songs he plays were popular in the 80's? That's when this kid's parents would have been teenagers (most likely).

Or maybe I'm just jealous. . . Conspiracy theories are fun, though, aren't they?

thearabianmage
May 12th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I forgot to mention that if his abilities are due to the influence his parents has on him, then the moral question of whether these are or aren't his sincere expressions are under scrutiny. Does he really wanna be there playing? Or is he just doing the only thing he knows how to do? Has he ever eaten leaves off of trees or grazed his knees or whittled a sculpture out of wood like all the other 10 year old boys? I doubt it.

helliott
May 12th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Wonder where he learned these arrangements? If it turns out he also arranged this stuff as well as played it like this, I will be selling very nice guitars at a low price.

Algonquin
May 12th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Wonder where he learned these arrangements? If it turns out he also arranged this stuff as well as played it like this, I will be selling very nice guitars at a low price.

Not a chance Helliot! Playing guitar is very similar to Cross Country running... everybody goes at their own pace, and the only goal is improve on your previous best.

Man... you're already past the halfway mark, and you're not even sweating!

Robert
May 12th, 2008, 09:44 PM
That was impressive. Some people learn fast!

Kazz
May 13th, 2008, 04:14 AM
As you can imagine....what I see is this kid is using a modified Suzuki method....so his parents probably started him on Guitar at about age 3....

Then you go with what Kris posted....the little boogers have no responsibilities or worries.....just wait....wine, women and song are ahead of him....and what the booze and women don't stain......well then we will see what is left of the little guy LMAO.

Seriously talented....and way better at 10 than I will be before I expire.

Kazz
May 13th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Ok....now I am going to go hide....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMnv_-flLJ0

thearabianmage
May 13th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Look, seriously, this kid is good, he's great, for his age it's brilliant. But everyone here is acting like it's impossible. If it was impossible, then why can a 10 year old do it? If you have the true desire, you will.