PDA

View Full Version : Gig report and a picture of me in my monkey suit

mark wein
May 26th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I spent most of my weekend woodshedding tunes for my gig last night. I played cocktail hour at a wedding at the Beverly Hills Hotel...the first instrumental jazz gig I've played since college. I carpooled up there from Orange with the bassist and we got there early enough to go into Hollywood in search of some food...we ended up getting hot dogs at Pink Dot on Sunset because we didn't have too much time....

I only have one picture from the gig because it was a working gig...this was before they let the guests in:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/markwein/IMG_1028.jpg

The group was piano, bass, guitar and sax....the guy who contracted us was supposed to sing and play a bunch of Jimmy Buffet and James Taylor songs but he ended up bailing out at the last minute and just let us do our thing. I think he was supposed to fill the guitar spot that they hired me for at the last minute but he didn't feel comfortable reading jazz lead sheets and didn't have time to actually learn any of the tunes...lucky for me....http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/thumb.gif

After the gig we went to Cantors on Fairfax....after playing a Jewish wedding and seeing all of the food we decided on Deli food for dinner. I had an incredible Pastrami Reuben and a stuffed cabbage....http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/smile.gif

Sitting at the table next to us was comedian Fred Willard....I didn't want to bother him since he was with a big group of people so no pictures.

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Hey, cool! I've had hotdogs at Pinkies as well. Unless Pink Dot is somewhere different (it was a hotdog stand that a million celebrities have been to). They are some awesome wieners!

And you are the first person I have heard/read use the term 'woodshed'. Is that term particularly common, or only amongst jazz players?

mark wein
May 26th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Hey, cool! I've had hotdogs at Pinkies as well. Unless Pink Dot is somewhere different (it was a hotdog stand that a million celebrities have been to). They are some awesome wieners!

And you are the first person I have heard/read use the term 'woodshed'. Is that term particularly common, or only amongst jazz players?

Actually, we wanted PInks but didn't have time to go there...Pink Dot is a mini market that delivers groceries and sandwiches and stuff...not the same as Pinks but it got us through the gig! :D

The term "woodshed" or "shed" are terms I hear alot but I think that Jazzers use them the most...

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Actually, we wanted PInks but didn't have time to go there...Pink Dot is a mini market that delivers groceries and sandwiches and stuff...not the same as Pinks but it got us through the gig! :D

The term "woodshed" or "shed" are terms I hear alot but I think that Jazzers use them the most...

Ahh, so there is more than one place in Hollywood with 'pink' in the name. . . I should have known, really. :D

Good gig, overall, though? I can't imagine a Hollywood crowd being particularly responsive to jazz, given the current trends in music at the moment. . .

What a shame. . .

mark wein
May 26th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Ahh, so there is more than one place in Hollywood with 'pink' in the name. . . I should have known, really. :D

Even a couple where its about food....

Good gig, overall, though? I can't imagine a Hollywood crowd being particularly responsive to jazz, given the current trends in music at the moment. . .

What a shame. . .

Well, the idea is that we were "audible wallpaper". Not the reason people were there...just to help the atmosphere as people ate and drank and socialized before the dinner...the contractor liked us and promised more gigs, so I guess we did OK. I am just not much of a jazz guitarist so I was happy to have survived without getting knifed by the real jazzers :D

thearabianmage
May 26th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Even a couple where its about food....

Well, the idea is that we were "audible wallpaper". Not the reason people were there...just to help the atmosphere as people ate and drank and socialized before the dinner...the contractor liked us and promised more gigs, so I guess we did OK. I am just not much of a jazz guitarist so I was happy to have survived without getting knifed by the real jazzers :D

Fair enough, dude. Well you made it! <high five>
:thwap: (i missed) :D

mark wein
May 26th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Fair enough, dude. Well you made it! <high five>
:thwap: (i missed) :D

:D

just strum
May 26th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Hey Mark, For a very short period I use to live not to far from the BHH. I don't think there was Pink Dot back then, or at least I never heard of it. I do remember the BHH being pink - is it still painted pink?

mark wein
May 26th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Hey Mark, For a very short period I use to live not to far from the BHH. I don't think there was Pink Dot back then, or at least I never heard of it. I do remember the BHH being pink - is it still painted pink?

To be honest I wasn't paying too much attention (I had to go in through the loading dock as usual) but I believe it is....Pink Dot has only been around for 8-10 years, I think...it was actually my first time in one and I wasn't too impressed...the hot dog was OK, though...:D

just strum
May 26th, 2008, 06:08 PM
To be honest I wasn't paying too much attention (I had to go in through the loading dock as usual) but I believe it is....Pink Dot has only been around for 8-10 years, I think...it was actually my first time in one and I wasn't too impressed...the hot dog was OK, though...:D

Ok, it wouldn't have been there when I was out there. I lived right up the hill from The Whiskey on N. Clark. Ironically I wasn't into music much when I was out there. The other hot spot was the Roxy. If I remember correctly the Whiskey is gone and I'm not sure about the Roxy.

mark wein
May 26th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Ok, it wouldn't have been there when I was out there. I lived right up the hill from The Whiskey on N. Clark. Ironically I wasn't into music much when I was out there. The other hot spot was the Roxy. If I remember correctly the Whiskey is gone and I'm not sure about the Roxy.

Actually both those venues are still there...the Coconut Teaszer and Gazarris are both gone, though...

Spudman
May 26th, 2008, 06:51 PM
The tie looks fabulous with that guitar and suit. Tasty.

mark wein
May 26th, 2008, 07:17 PM
The tie looks fabulous with that guitar and suit. Tasty.

Thanks! The gig was an excuse to finally go buy a new suit...I don't think I've ever owned a tie that wasn't red....the salesman put it out with some other ones and I had to have it. I told my wife that if I got a tie that was already mustard colored it would take me longer to ruin it :D

Spudman
May 26th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I told my wife that if I got a tie that was already mustard colored it would take me longer to ruin it :D

Pretty close to signature material there. Who wants it? :rotflmao: :bravo:

mark wein
May 26th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Pretty close to signature material there. Who wants it? :rotflmao: :bravo:

Algonquin
May 26th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Lookin spiffy in the threads Mark :AOK:

The guitar ain't too shabby either.

Katastrophe
May 26th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I snagged it. Great line, Mark... and very suave looking with the suit and the guitar.:D :AOK:

mark wein
May 26th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Lookin spiffy in the threads Mark :AOK:

The guitar ain't too shabby either.

Thanks! The guitars a loaner, though....I have to give it back this week...:(

I snagged it. Great line, Mark... and very suave looking with the suit and the guitar.:D :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
May 26th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Looks like a nice affair. Having heard your playing, including some jazz, I am sure you "faked" it real well. I know you didn't have ability to record, but would have been nice to hear.

mark wein
May 26th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Looks like a nice affair. Having heard your playing, including some jazz, I am sure you "faked" it real well. I know you didn't have ability to record, but would have been nice to hear.

It definiitely was an expensive wedding....seemed very nice for the short time I was there. I played with some really great players...I was the bottom of the heap on this particular gig. I survived but I don't think it was my shining hour musically...:D

I did have fun and I hope I get to do more of them, though...

sunvalleylaw
May 26th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Hey, you hung with them and the contractor liked you so that is good! Better sometimes to be the fixer upper on the block than the lead listing.

mark wein
May 26th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Hey, you hung with them and the contractor liked you so that is good! Better sometimes to be the fixer upper on the block than the lead listing.

Definitely mades you work harder...learn more that way, too...