PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Games

Robert
August 11th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I love watching the Games. Too bad I have to work during it! Who else is watching?

What events are you most interested in? For me, it's the running events of course, anything from 100m to the marathon.

I enjoy watching the swimming too. Man, Phelps is something else.

Basketball could be interesting... will USA do better than last time?

Tone2TheBone
August 11th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I missed the opening ceremonies! We were at a friend's house having a BBQ. Then we went camping this weekend. I watched the beginning of the gymnasties last night. Kinda boring...it doesn't heat up until later in the week. I like the gymnastics and the swimming relays. I wish they aired archery and shooting events!

warren0728
August 11th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I missed the opening ceremonies! We were at a friend's house having a BBQ. Then we went camping this weekend. I watched the beginning of the gymnasties last night. Kinda boring...it doesn't heat up until later in the week. I like the gymnastics and the swimming relays. I wish they aired archery and shooting events!
archery was on MSNBC a little earlier....

i like the swimming and gymnastics....it was great seeing the us win the mens relay last night when they were the underdogs....i think the french saying they were going to smash the us in the relay helped motivate! :beer:

ww

sunvalleylaw
August 11th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I had just started a thread to discuss olympics before I saw yours. I will delete mine. Re: the Olympics, I love them! Last night really got me into it with the swimming events, esp. the come from behind US 4x100 relay victory. The gymnastics was fun to watch too, but the competition part is hard for me as the commentators were already discussing the cheating and politics that infect the judging so in my mind hurt the credibility of the results. Give me a race or something physically measurable I say. Anyhow, the games are on and it is fun to watch!

I used to run track and track an field is one of my favorites for sure, though I get discouraged by the doping scandals and things like Marion Jones's usage, etc. I still love to set that aside and watch the competition though. One of my favorites was the Australian woman runner in the Sydney Olympics who was aboriginal and one her event in the middle distances (my favorites, 400, 800 1600 etc.). It seemed poetic justice.

Anyone else see anything interesting?

sunvalleylaw
August 11th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I also wish they showed more cycling and especially the mountain biking, as I do a lot of that.

R_of_G
August 11th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I have some interest in the swimming as I used to do that. As for the basketball, it's a joke. Say what you will about the Olympics having a history of being a "professional" competition, but sending the top NBA players is way way over the top. Why not just send the Harlem Globetrotters at this point?

Robert
August 11th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Still the U.S. lost the basketball semi-final last time in Greece... ;)

I have some interest in the swimming as I used to do that. As for the basketball, it's a joke. Say what you will about the Olympics having a history of being a "professional" competition, but sending the top NBA players is way way over the top. Why not just send the Harlem Globetrotters at this point?

sunvalleylaw
August 11th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I am not that big a basketball fan, and I guess I wish it was the equivalent of college athletes, or at least non-professional athletes. I am more for the individual-team events, like swimming, track, cycling, etc., when I am watching the Olympics.

warren0728
August 11th, 2008, 12:23 PM
i thought the story last night about the 31 or 33 year old gymnast competing in the vault for germany was pretty cool....it hurts though to watch the guys and gals that have worked so hard to get there make a mistakes and loose their grip on the uneven parallel bars and such....you feel so bad for them....

ww

sunvalleylaw
August 11th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Yeah Warren. I agree on both those points. And the gymnasts seem so young! Especially on the "womens" side. I worry about youth getting exploited. I am glad they at least have to be 16 now. It was nice to see that thirty something Mom hit her vaults like that and to know about her motivation due to her kid who got sick. Those are the things that bring the world closer together I think.

R_of_G
August 11th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Still the U.S. lost the basketball semi-final last time in Greece... ;)

Yes, but clearly not because they were the less-talented team, but because you had a bunch of pros who simply didn't take the tournament seriously (perhaps bc they were all multi-millionaires to whom international competition meant nothing). This team "cares" to the extent that they feel they have to make up for what happened in Greece. I sincerely doubt being in the Olympics means all that much to them, but they don't want to be humiliated. To go back to the analogy, it'd be like the Washington Generals beating the Globetrotters, which, by the way, did happen a couple of times. It's obviously not impossible for the US team to lose, but it's exceptionally unlikely. Other countries have some NBA players on their teams but not a top-to-bottom team of NBA superstars like the US team. To me, blow-out games are the single most boring thing in all of sports (even when it's my team that's winning). I prefer it when the game is actually a contest right down to the last play. It's significantly more exciting that way.

aeolian
August 11th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Yes, but clearly not because they were the less-talented team, but because you had a bunch of pros who simply didn't take the tournament seriously (perhaps bc they were all multi-millionaires to whom international competition meant nothing).

Basketball is not the only sport that fields professionals. Tennis, cycling, and I'm other sports are all being competed by professionals. If most countries are subsidizing their athletes so they can train for the Olympics they are just amateurs in name only.

I think the only 'amateurs' are in the sports where there is no professional money to be made.

warren0728
August 11th, 2008, 01:23 PM
even though the pros are millionaires....a gold medal is one thing their money can't buy....i think getting a gold medal probably is somewhat important to the players or they wouldn't agree to participate...

ww

Tone2TheBone
August 11th, 2008, 01:29 PM
So is Yao not American anymore? ;)

R_of_G
August 11th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Basketball is not the only sport that fields professionals. Tennis, cycling, and I'm other sports are all being competed by professionals. If most countries are subsidizing their athletes so they can train for the Olympics they are just amateurs in name only.

I think the only 'amateurs' are in the sports where there is no professional money to be made.

I agree with you that this is the case. However, there is a HUGE difference between state-subsidized athletes and those who play in the world's premier professional league. I agree that having the pros play in tennis is equivalent. I just don't care about tennis so it doesn't bother me as much as with basketball as I wouldn't be watching the tennis anyway. I just believe that the talent pool for American basketball players is deep enough that we could send college kids and still be reasonably expected to win. Sending the NBA superstars is overkill.

just strum
August 11th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Yes, but clearly not because they were the less-talented team, but because you had a bunch of pros who simply didn't take the tournament seriously (perhaps bc they were all multi-millionaires to whom international competition meant nothing). This team "cares" to the extent that they feel they have to make up for what happened in Greece. I sincerely doubt being in the Olympics means all that much to them, but they don't want to be humiliated. To go back to the analogy, it'd be like the Washington Generals beating the Globetrotters, which, by the way, did happen a couple of times. It's obviously not impossible for the US team to lose, but it's exceptionally unlikely. Other countries have some NBA players on their teams but not a top-to-bottom team of NBA superstars like the US team. To me, blow-out games are the single most boring thing in all of sports (even when it's my team that's winning). I prefer it when the game is actually a contest right down to the last play. It's significantly more exciting that way.

What the other teams have on their teams is the professional level of the European league and don't underestimate the talent. I agree about the Olympics shouldn't be about professional athletes, but other countries have been doing it for years.

Sorry, I just don't find the enjoyment in the Olympics that you people seem to be finding - to each their own.

sunvalleylaw
August 11th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I guess part of it, Strum, is that sports that typically get less mainstream coverage, such as track, swimming, cycling, fencing, crew, (in the winter, skiing, xc/skiing, bobsled, luge,) etc. get some coverage, and the idea of athletes getting together from different countries that gets me. And there the stories that can happen. Big event athletics, such as basketball and hockey, or tennis, golf, etc., are not the reason I watch the Olympics. Those guys get paid anyway. I know runners and swimmers get endorsements and some pay too, but not on a NBA/NHL level. And you have the stories about moms and dads, kids, etc. who pursue their dream and make it happen. Guys like Al Oerter who won at four Olympics in discus. Ms. Torres giving it a go at 41. Stuff like that. Oh, and four guys who everyone says are going to lose find a way to touch the wall first last night in the 4x100 and beat the favorites. (I love relays, track, swimming, whatever) I have a Disney streak in me I guess, but I do think the spirit of it still exists in some events and with some athletes stories. Anyhoo, I wonder what is on tonight? Kids and wife are away, and I am going to learn some bluegrass lead, working on alternate picking, while watching!! Maybe the rhythm too.

warren0728
August 11th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Anyhoo, I wonder what is on tonight? Kids and wife are away, and I am going to learn some bluegrass lead, working on alternate picking, while watching!! Maybe the rhythm too.
from the online tv guide....

From Beijing. Gymnastics, men's team final; swimming finals: men's 200m freestyle, 100m backstroke, women's 100m backstroke, 100m breaststroke; beach volleyball, USA vs. Cuba; diving, platform synchronized final.

ww

tot_Ou_tard
August 11th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I guess part of it, Strum, is that sports that typically get less mainstream coverage, such as track, swimming, cycling, fencing, crew, (in the winter, skiing, xc/skiing, bobsled, luge,) etc. get some coverage, and the idea of athletes getting together from different countries that gets me.
Bingo! Obscure sports & athletes from all over the world.

The athletes, for the most part, ignore the politics. They're in it because they are obsessed with their sport & they want to WIN. Simple as that for the athletes.

It is what it is. Watch it or not. I see no point in whining about what it should be.

just strum
August 11th, 2008, 05:25 PM
It is what it is. Watch it or not. I see no point in whining about what it should be.

that I will agree with. The fact that you are wrong is an entirely different issue:poke:

evenkeel
August 11th, 2008, 05:32 PM
If there is a race, does not matter what kind, I'm interested. Running, cycling, swimming, individual, relay. Last night's 4X100 swimming relay was exactly the kind of stuff that gets me all fired up. Like our fav moderator the track and field stuff will be of particular interest. I'm an ex runner. Ran my P.R. in Boston (2:22 and change for those who might be interested). I also worked in the "sneaker" industry. Marketing manager for adidias, track and field. I've been out of that world for a long time, but the Olympics always gets my attention.

I also love the more obscure stuff. The Olympics is the only time you really get to see badmitton, weightlifting, waterpolo (now there is a tough sport). Synchronized swimming, rhythmic gymnastics now those sports I could do without. :thwap:

tot_Ou_tard
August 11th, 2008, 05:39 PM
that I will agree with. The fact that you are wrong is an entirely different issue:poke:
Of course, that is a universal fact that transcends mere sports.

One point that can't be denied however is that the Olympics is the often the only venue where women's sports get any airtime.

warren0728
August 11th, 2008, 05:45 PM
One point that can't be denied however is that the Olympics is the often the only venue where women's sports get any airtime.
except for maybe tennis and golf...

ww

tot_Ou_tard
August 11th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Beats US pro sports for me & doubly so for college sports.

What is your local team again Strum?

The Ohio Hawkeyes?

The Toledo Klingers? ;)

except for maybe tennis and golf...

ww

Those aren't sports...the balls are too small.

just strum
August 11th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Of course, that is a universal fact that transcends mere sports.

Hey, I just saw mud wrestling on ESPN or was that the corner bar?

just strum
August 11th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Beats US pro sports for me & doubly so for college sports.

What is your local team again Strum?

The Ohio Hawkeyes?

The Toledo Klingers? ;)

Those aren't sports...the balls are too small.

Didn't you watch every episode of MASH 20 times - Go Toledo Mud Hens!!!!

tot_Ou_tard
August 11th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Hey, I just saw mud wrestling on ESPN or was that the corner bar?
I need to go to the corner bar.

On now on Olympic coverage the most "Greek" of modern sports:

Men's synchronized diving.

just strum
August 11th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I need to go to the corner bar.

On now on Olympic coverage the most "Greek" of modern sports:

Men's synchronized diving.

Are they wearing tennis shoes?

tot_Ou_tard
August 11th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Are they wearing tennis shoes?
No, but they're not really wearing swim trunks either.

I half expect them to flip panckes while doing a a double half-flip whatchamacallit.

warren0728
August 11th, 2008, 06:22 PM
lol....those guys do seem to be pretty close :eek: not that there's anything wrong with that :crazyguy:

ww

just strum
August 11th, 2008, 06:28 PM
No, but they're not really wearing swim trunks either.

I half expect them to flip panckes while doing a a double half-flip whatchamacallit.

They should work a bar of soap into their routine.

warren0728
August 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM
:beer: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :beer:

just sayin'....

ww

tot_Ou_tard
August 11th, 2008, 06:34 PM
They do. They show them showering together after the "routine".

tot_Ou_tard
August 11th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks alot Strum.

I'll never think of P90s in the same way again. :eek:

just strum
August 11th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Hey, your right, the Olympics are fun. Now I guess I'm being annoying. Well, at least I'm not hissing.:poke:

tot_Ou_tard
August 11th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hey, your right, the Olympics are fun. Now I guess I'm being annoying. Well, at least I'm not hissing.:poke:
I'm waiting for the women's mud wrestling finals.

---------------------------------------

O! It's women's beach volleyball...close enough.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ZF8sDAT30f6cWM:http://www.mistyandkerri.com/pix/Misty%2520May%2520Cumulu-14.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mistyandkerri.com/pix/Misty%2520May%2520Cumulu-14.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.scoresreport.com/2008/05/14/&h=750&w=447&sz=101&hl=en&start=5&um=1&tbnid=ZF8sDAT30f6cWM:&tbnh=141&tbnw=84&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpresident%2Bbush%2Bmisty%2Bmay%26um%3 D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7GGLD%26sa%3DN)

just strum
August 11th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I'm waiting for the women's mud wrestling finals.

---------------------------------------

O! It's women's beach volleyball...close enough.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ZF8sDAT30f6cWM:http://www.mistyandkerri.com/pix/Misty%2520May%2520Cumulu-14.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mistyandkerri.com/pix/Misty%2520May%2520Cumulu-14.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.scoresreport.com/2008/05/14/&h=750&w=447&sz=101&hl=en&start=5&um=1&tbnid=ZF8sDAT30f6cWM:&tbnh=141&tbnw=84&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpresident%2Bbush%2Bmisty%2Bmay%26um%3 D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7GGLD%26sa%3DN)

Is Brazil playing tonight?

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/brasil_bikini_01.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
August 11th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Is Brazil playing tonight?

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/brasil_bikini_01.jpg
Hey! You claim to be boycotting the games.

warren0728
August 11th, 2008, 07:41 PM
yep...women's beach volleyball...much better than men's synchronized diving! :bravo: :beer: :AOK: :beer:

ww

sunvalleylaw
August 11th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I personally am working on one of the five ways to do Robert's A.King lick during the diving. I may drag the guitar out to the living room for the volleyball, but I am waiting for swimming mostly tonight. It will be fun to watch a few Iron crosses during men's gym also.

marnold
August 11th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I'm pleased to report that even at the age of 40, I'm still immature enough to smile quietly to myself whenever the "breaststroke" is mentioned.

sunvalleylaw
August 11th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I'm pleased to report that even at the age of 40, I'm still immature enough to smile quietly to myself whenever the "breaststroke" is mentioned.

Heh, heh, . . . heh, heh . . . (snickered Beavis and Butthead style). I'm with you there. For that reason, when I do golf, which is seldom, I am partial to Titleists. LOL!

R_of_G
August 12th, 2008, 06:33 AM

It is what it is. No dissenting voices will be tolerated. Stop wanting change. This message brought to you by the Chinese Government.

tot_Ou_tard
August 12th, 2008, 06:49 AM
It is what it is. No dissenting voices will be tolerated. Stop wanting change. This message brought to you by the Chinese Government.
You can want change all you want as I do. I keep hoping for a dramatic protest in Beijing. I doubt that it will happen, however.

I'm just saying that one can watch the Olympics, no matter where they take place, from the point of view of the athletes involved who have work extremely hard at their sport.

In fact, you can do both at the same time. Get extremely angry at the coddling of the Chinese goverment & cheer on the athletes.

Down with China! Go Phelps!

R_of_G
August 12th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I'm sure if I watched any of the other sports I could get behind the athletes for the sake of athletics thing, but the truth is that the only Summer Games sport which I really have any interest in is basketball, and by stacking a team with NBA superstars we are insuring game after game of blowout basketball rendering the games unwatchable. 30 point victories are as boring as basketball gets (that's why the Globetrottrers put on a show as well). It doesn't matter to me where the games are played if they are going to be boring.

tot_Ou_tard
August 12th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I'm sure if I watched any of the other sports I could get behind the athletes for the sake of athletics thing, but the truth is that the only Summer Games sport which I really have any interest in is basketball, and by stacking a team with NBA superstars we are insuring game after game of blowout basketball rendering the games unwatchable. 30 point victories are as boring as basketball gets (that's why the Globetrottrers put on a show as well). It doesn't matter to me where the games are played if they are going to be boring.
Man, O, man R_O_G!

You have a whole smörgåsbord of odd & unusual sports & you choose hoops?!?

I say forget basketball if the NBAers drive you nuts. Go find one of the least appreciated sports & become a rabid fan of one of the underdogs of the sport.

Some lonely dedicated person toiling in the shadow of the big gun in a sport that is itself toiling in the shadows of all the other sports.

Get a t-shirt, bumper stickers--the whole nine yards.

Go Roach Mulligan! Fling that Wingnut dude!

sunvalleylaw
August 12th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Oh, yeah! I forgot. Curling! What is the summer equivalent of curling? I am sure Roach Mulligan is doing his darndest! Go Roach!

tot_Ou_tard
August 12th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Oh, yeah! I forgot. Curling! What is the summer equivalent of curling? I am sure Roach Mulligan is doing his darndest! Go Roach!
Great question!

Although the Canadians are saying by the "summer equivalent of curling", you are of course asking for the most exciting & important summer sport!

Robert
August 12th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Horse shoe throwing? :D

sunvalleylaw
August 12th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Basque Pelota? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_pelota_at_the_1900_Summer_Olympics

Or Roque?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Roque_competition_during_1904_Summer_Olympic s.jpg

Neither are contested any more though. From 1900 - 1920, Tug of War was an event!

But as I look, perhaps Table Tennis is the prime candidate! Go Forrest!

Bo4Ac1e0r5Q&feature=related

Bloozcat
August 12th, 2008, 09:16 AM

Reverend!! Tsk-tsk...:nono:
;)

Jimi75
August 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I am an olympic games addict from my early early years on.
In the office we watch it via live stream all day long and we gather for the important finals.

Usually the TV runs very seldom at home, but for the games w make an exception.

:master:

sunvalleylaw
August 12th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Hey Jimi! Where do you pick up the live stream?

scgmhawk
August 12th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I have to say that, while being a BIG sports fan of the major team sports, I have a hard time getting into the summer olympics (I enjoy the winter olympics). But, that being said, I was up until 12:45 AM last night watching men's gymnastics!

I have a tremendous admiration for the athletes and the sacrifices they've made to get to this point. I'm just not into the events (i.e. synchronized "anything"!).

sumitomo
August 12th, 2008, 11:58 AM

The summer equivalent of curling is shotgunning beer's and I heard he was good.Sumi:D No beer bongs good ole fashion shotgunin' beer's

R_of_G
August 12th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I hear a lot about how the opening ceremonies for these Olympics was the coolest ever... Perhaps it looked that way because it was faked?

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Internatio...5565191&page=1

(EXCERPT)

In recent days the Chinese Olympics organizers have admitted to faking the "footprint" fireworks that dazzled television audiences around the world.

And today they conceded that the perfect little girl who stole the show while singing "Ode to the Motherland" wasn't singing at all. She was lip synching for another little girl who was deemed -- for the good of the country -- not cute enough for China's national image.

warren0728
August 12th, 2008, 02:39 PM
actually...during the footprint segment...it was stated that that portion was computer generated...the commentators said it and i think it might have been written on the screen as well...as for the little girl...i think it is a shame that the actual girl with the voice didn't get to sing it live....i'm getting milli vinilli flashbacks :thwap:

ww

R_of_G
August 12th, 2008, 02:41 PM
actually...during the footprint segment...it was stated that that portion was computer generated...the commentators said it and i think it might have been written on the screen as well...as for the little girl...i think it is a shame that the actual girl with the voice didn't get to sing it live....i'm getting milli vinilli flashbacks :thwap:

ww

Now the question is will she make out like Milli Vanilli or like Ashlee Simpson. Both were caught lip syncing. For the former it meant the end of their careers, for the latter, it's been overlooked and she's been rewarded with more contracts and roles on Broadway. The little chinese girl might do alright after all.

sunvalleylaw
August 12th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hmm, says page does not exist. I will be interested in reading it when I know of a good link. The ceremonies and pomp don't interest me all that much. To me, a party is just as fun if you get a keg of good beer and some chips and salsa and open the bag and set out the cups as if you fancy it all up. The fancying it all up tends to mess things up as folks feel the need to one up one another or to "put on the right face" as it looks like officials felt the need to do here, if it is true. That is one reason the races and events that have a definite result are of more interest to me.

I suppose even those can be "fixed" by drugs and such. I can see why folks can get discouraged by how sport can be tainted. But I still love seeing individuals strive in a peaceful competition with individuals from other countries. Some of the athletes are volunteering for "supertesting" to prove their competitions are clean. I believe there are certainly some cheaters. Always have been, always will. But I also believe there are some honest competitors out there.

warren0728
August 12th, 2008, 02:45 PM
i personally loved the opening ceremonies for the whole presentation....but i think it is a disgrace that they kept that little girl from singing because in their opinion she wasn't pretty enough...how do you tell her that...and i'm guessing a lot of people would disagree with their opinion (me included)

ww

warren0728
August 12th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Hmm, says page does not exist. I will be interested in reading it when I know of a good link.
here svl...this link works (i just checked it)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26153578/

ww

sunvalleylaw
August 12th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Huh, I think the actual singer is just as cute. Too bad the officials felt the deception was necessary.

warren0728
August 12th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Huh, I think the actual singer is just as cute. Too bad the officials felt the deception was necessary.
i agree...how can you claim a 7 year old isn't cute enough :thwap: they're all cute at their age....kinda like puppies! :AOK:

ww

warren0728
August 12th, 2008, 09:31 PM
michael phelps is a monster.... :master:

just sayin'....

ww

sunvalleylaw
August 12th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Just agreein! :D :pancake: :D

tot_Ou_tard
August 13th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Phelps IS a monster.

I have a hard time watching "women's" gynastics.

State controlled sports systems are freaky. The girls are "found" by the Chinese government when they are 3-5 years old & turned into gymnastic showcases.

Just too weird.

Robert
August 13th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Phelps is a MACHINE. The US government must have found him when he was 1 or somethin! :eek:

warren0728
August 13th, 2008, 07:33 AM
State controlled sports systems are freaky. The girls are "found" by the Chinese government when they are 3-5 years old & turned into gymnastic showcases.
yeah that bothered me too....they get taken from their parents and only see them like once a year.... :messedup:

i found it interesting that bela karolyi is accusing a lot of these countries of using girls younger than 16 by providing them with fake passports....here is an interesting story on it...

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/gymnastics/news?slug=dw-underage081108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

ww

tot_Ou_tard
August 13th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I know a rower who claims that the Chinese never send their junior nationals to competitions outside of China. Everyone believes that is because they can only control drug tests inside China.

Since they get these kids young, they can pump'em full of growth hormones & then back them off of them after 18 & before releasing them into worldwide competition.

It certainly sounds like something China would do.

Tone2TheBone
August 13th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Those 2 Chinese synchronized divers rocked!

Robert
August 13th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I think the synchronized diving is FUN to watch! Can't say the same thing for water polo though... :)

sumitomo
August 13th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Those 2 Chinese synchronized divers rocked!

Wew!I am sure glad to find out it was two drivers,I thought oh no all those years of drinkin' are catching up to me and now I'm gunna see double for ever.Sumi:D

just strum
August 13th, 2008, 03:43 PM

Just too weird.

That must be the interesting story that was referred to in the earlier pages.

tot_Ou_tard
August 15th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Trying not to be a spoiler, but holy f@ck!

SuperSwede
August 16th, 2008, 12:32 AM
The womens beach volley ball was kinda fun to watch ;)

tot_Ou_tard
August 16th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Trying not to be a spoiler, but holy f@ck!
Now that everyone who wished has got a chance to see this.

This was in response to the photo-finish in the Men's 100 m fly.

Phelps over Serbian Milorad Cavic by 0.01 s.

His arms were in the furthest back position of his stroke just as Cavic was about to touch the wall. Phelps swung his arms all the way through his stroke to just beat him.

Go watch it.

sunvalleylaw
August 16th, 2008, 09:26 AM
It was incredible!!! It inspired me to try to find some notes of the Star Spangled Banner when the next medal ceremony came on. I found a spot at about a D barre chord, 10th fret that sounded like what they were playing.

That swim was amazing, I couldn't hardly believe he touched first til they showed the super slo mo from underneath and you could see it happen. They double checked it after the other guy's coach (who happens to be an american college coach) challenged the result, and it stood. Amazing! I enjoyed the interview involving Spitz later too. Spitz was one of the primary focuses of the first Olympics I watched. I remember being addicted! Spitz, and the running. I especially remember Dave Wottle with his stride, his hat, and his come from behind victories! You can watch his 800 final on youtube still, and it is just as I remember it. I am a huge Prefontaine admirer now, but did not specifically remember him from my watching him as a kid. I love the Olympics!

sunvalleylaw
August 18th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Ok, back from camping and caught up on the latest Olympics. Phelps and his relay team, WOW!

I am enjoying getting track under way. I have enjoyed several of the events, and can't wait for the 400 and 800 which are my favorites. I used to run those lengths, both individually and in relays. But I have to say, Sweden must be very proud of their hurdler, Susanna Kullar!! And I am not even sure where she finished in her preliminary heat I was watching. ;)