PDA

View Full Version : Pickguard re-cut single coil for humbucker?

sunvalleylaw
September 5th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Couldn't find a thread on this while searching. Can a guy effectively re-router a strat PG from a standard bridge single coil hole to a humbucker hole? Considering a project here. Thanks for any advice. :pancake:

Bloozcat
September 5th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I'll have to try to remember to check this when I get home tonight (amid all my preps for a possible strike by hurricane "Ike").

I have a dual humbucker Strat pickguard and a std. S/S/S guard at home. I'll lay the humbucker guard over the single coil guard, and see how the routes line up.

tunghaichuan
September 5th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I seem to remember that the single coil rout in the bridge is slightly wider than a humbucker cut out. But I'll let Bloozcat check to make sure.

As far as routing the pickguard it is very easy if you have a router and a template. Stew-Mac sells the template made out of thick plexiglas or lexan. You simply mark where the humbucker cut out will go. Then using a jig saw cut away most of the material inside the route. Line up the template with the marks and stick it down with double-sided carpet tape. Use the router with a flush-cutting bit to trim the cut the opening to size.

If you want to go ahead with this project, I could make a template out of 1/2" MDF and send it to you if you don't want to buy Stew-Mac's.

tung

t_ross33
September 5th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Save yerself the trouble and get whattchu need from GFS

TS808
September 5th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Save yerself the trouble and get whattchu need from GFS

Agreed...I believe the hole for a humbucker is narrower than a single coil, plus you'd have to drill new holes for the humbucker screws and have single coil screw holes still showing.

Stew Mac makes really good pickguards (I put their white pearl guards on my American strats)...they are really reasonably priced and well made, plus delivery with them is fast. Check them out at www.stewmac.com

tunghaichuan
September 5th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Just checked two pickguards that I have against each other. One with a humbucker cutout in the bridge position, the other with a single coil. The single coil rout itself fits within the humbucker cutout, but the lower height adjustment bolt shows.

I agree with t_ross33 and TS808: buy a decent replacement and save yourself the hassle.

tung

sunvalleylaw
September 5th, 2008, 10:08 PM
For $18.95 (I checked) I agree. I may or may not do the project anyway. We will see.

Bloozcat
September 6th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Just checked two pickguards that I have against each other. One with a humbucker cutout in the bridge position, the other with a single coil. The single coil rout itself fits within the humbucker cutout, but the lower height adjustment bolt shows.

I agree with t_ross33 and TS808: buy a decent replacement and save yourself the hassle.

tung

Yep, exactly what I found. The humbucker route contains the single coil route due to the angle of the single coil route itself, but the single coil adjustment screw holes will show...and they are also angled and so are of no use.

tunghaichuan
September 6th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Steve,

What project are you thinking of doing? (if you don't mind me asking)

tung

For $18.95 (I checked) I agree. I may or may not do the project anyway. We will see.

sunvalleylaw
September 6th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Oh, I was thinking of finding a used mexi strat or decent squier, hopefully with a color appropriate for a tort PG and install that with a humbucker I have for a roadhouse rocker strat. But I may do other things first.

ShortBuSX
September 6th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Im just stoked youre talking about buying something and modding it, as opposed to your previous "I dont have time"...cause its a hobby, you make time for it, and when you do its very rewarding!:bravo: