PDA

View Full Version : Why I like playing bass

marnold
November 13th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Not that I can play like this, but this is the kind of thing that I'd play if I could. I'm working on it . . .
jcFjl6shqs4

By the by, that guy's site is pretty sweet for learning bass.

Andy
November 13th, 2008, 12:26 PM
thats a brothers Johnson song, and Louis"thunder thumbs" Johnson is one fierce bass player.
He uses alot of thumb slapping and I believe he has some instructional videos out.

you have good taste in bass players my friend:AOK:

marnold
November 13th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I may have to invest in his DVD. Don't get me wrong, I love the Steve Harrises, Billy Sheehans, and Geddy Lees of the world, but there's just something about old school funk that gets the blood pumping. I probably like it far too much since I'm so white I'm nearly translucent.

"Stomp" has always been my favorite funk song. For many years I couldn't remember the group or the song title. It just so happened that about 10 years ago it was used as the "going to commercial" music on Monday Night Football and I believe the announcer mentioned that it was the Brothers Johnson. One Google search later and I knew the rest.

Algonquin
November 13th, 2008, 02:57 PM
YouTube is great for inspiration once in a while isn't is! I think I'm going to have to pull out the 4 stringer and try and figure the thing out. I need strings badly... any thoughts on what I should be looking for?

Good post! -Thanks.

marnold
November 13th, 2008, 03:35 PM
YouTube is great for inspiration once in a while isn't is! I think I'm going to have to pull out the 4 stringer and try and figure the thing out. I need strings badly... any thoughts on what I should be looking for?
Well, don't search TalkBass for the answer. For every string there is, somebody will love it and somebody will complain they die in one day. The only strings that are loved by just about everyone are T-I flats and DR Hi-beams.

Back in the day I used GHS Boomers all the time. I've got a set of Rotosounds on there now that I tried just for kicks. I've only had them on for about a week so the jury is still out. They're the first stainless steel strings I've tried.

I know a few players use flats for slap, but I'm of the opinion that it just loses something in the translation. If I were playing Jazz all the time I'd probably opt for flats on a fretless, but I'm not so I don't.

Spudman
November 13th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Wow, this guy is Mr. Antiguitarface. :D
Bass is fun because you can kind of dictate totally how the song is going to go and it sure is fun to create a groove.

Tone2TheBone
November 15th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Yup especially with a Geddy Lee type Jazz bass and a good bass amph. ;)

KrisH
November 15th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Yup especially with a Geddy Lee type Jazz bass and a good bass amph. ;)

:rockon: :rockon: