Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Now Playing Thread - Page 51
Page 51 of 102 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Now Playing Thread

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

I've loved this song from the minute I heard it on Treme. For a guy not from here (N.O.) he seems to have gotten it.
    A friend and I played this last night at a small birthday party. He can't really sing to well but he did a good imitation of Steve.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    I've loved this song from the minute I heard it on Treme. For a guy not from here (N.O.) he seems to have gotten it.
    A friend and I played this last night at a small birthday party. He can't really sing to well but he did a good imitation of Steve.
    On several of the live versions available on YouTube he talks a little about the origin of the song. During the first season David Simon asked him if he could write a song that would be a song his character would have written in 2005 after Katrina. He's also said that he and Simon viewed the character of Harley as someone Steve Earle would have been had he never gotten a record deal. The result was an amazing song.

Also, the studio version on I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive features a beautiful horn section arranged by Allen Toussiant which helps lend it that much more New Orleans authenticity. I learned the chords a few weeks ago and I've more or less figured out the melody line for the horn part. I can do a pretty fair Steve Earle as far as singing but to me singing and playing simultaneously is like a magic trick that I can't do.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly what I've heard and read as well.
    I've got just about every version of this song I could find on the net....live and original. He definitely as soul.
    He uses drop D on many of his songs. This song is a bit hard to sing and play to at the same time. My friend also does a nice harmonica on this one that works out well.
    Thanks for sharing this. Perfect timing!

Post Thanks / Like

Up next in my playlist...

"I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Fell behind on posting... after the Dirty Dozen was this...

Now we're on to this one...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Reminds me of the early roots of so much music, Professor Longhair - Tipitina.
    I can listen to this collection all night:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Reminds me of the early roots of so much music, Professor Longhair - Tipitina.
    I can listen to this collection all night:

Was heading towards Fess myself.

NP:

Some stellar performances by Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown on guitar on this album.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Now you're going back about 20 or so years. Iko Iko and Big Chief still are my favorites. He's an ugly looking specimen and sometimes I have to be in the mood for extra doses but he does hit on some of the local classics on that album.

Post Thanks / Like

I particularly like his version of "Little Liza Jane" and the Huey Smith medley.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in love with this EP.
    Their first full release is out this week.
    Hope it's as good as this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombones
    This is a fun one to listen to!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombones
    This is a fun one to listen to!

The one that marked the big change in his sound.
    It's also the first in what's looked at by many Waits fans as a trilogy along with hist next two Rain Dogs and Franks Wild Years.
    I'm a fan of his much of his work prior to this point as well, but for me this is the heart of the "classic" Waits sound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Swordfishtrombones has plenty of the style of his I like the most.

I'll get Franks Wild Years later this week. I like to get as many listens as possible with each album before going to the next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Drive-By Truckers - Live from Austin TX

Post Thanks / Like

The Dreamers
    O'o
    2009, Tzadik

Post Thanks / Like

Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Page 51 of 102 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast